Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Benelli question?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default Benelli question?

I got a Benelli Montefeltro a couple of years ago and love the gun. All I use it for is quail hunting. The first time out I was using the IC choke and the guy I was with told me I needed to change it because I was blowing limbs off the tree way up in front of us. So I changed it to the skeet choke and I don't see much difference in the pattern. My question is, is there a choke that I can buy that will open up my pattern a little? I've shotanold houseand water to see the pattern and it still seems real tight to me even at 40 yds. Another question I have is, can you get different shims? I've got "D" shims in and I'm still shooting over the birds. For me, it doesn't seem to break enough from the stock to gun. Thanks in advance for all the input.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: Benelli question?

See if you can get a cylinder choke tube, it will be more open then either IC or skeet. Another way you can change your pattern is the shells that you choose. Avoid trap loads as they hold tighter then some field loads. A couple of afternoons at the range pattering your gun and various loads will put you on the right track. I'm sorry but I not sure about the shims for your gun but I'm sure there are different shims which should help. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Spike

Thanks Paul, I usually have to use whatever shells they have at Wal-Mart. I'm kind of out in the boonies. I usually get 7 1/2's and 7/8 oz. shot is all they ever have. I read where 1 oz. shot was better for birds, do you think this is true? Also read that 8's or 9's would be better. Thansk again for the info....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What length barrels?
Maybe a skeet tube...
Just have to try multiple brands of ammo, until you find the results your looking for.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Even though you think the patter is tight there may be a huge difference in the number of pellets in the kill zone. Pattern each choke on paper to see the actual difference rather then just shooting at wood or water. The naked eye is not a good judge of pattern density.

Nemont
Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Spike

Rod is your gun a 20ga? If it is 7/8 or 1oz should be fine. For most shooting I will take a more open choke over a tighter choke any day. Wal mart usually has skeet loads or sporting clay loads that should pattern very well for you. I personally would rather hit 80% of my birds at 35yds or less than hit 50% or less at longer range. Most upland hunting especially quail are killed at 35yds or less. Next time you have a minute have your friend take a soda can and pace off 40yds. The can will represent the size of a quails body minus the wings. Now draw that size on a pattern sheet and take a few shots at it and count the holes. Without being rude does your friend really know what he is talking about? So what if some of your shot is hitting a few branches, if your killing birds what does it matter.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Spike

Yes, Paul it is a 20 ga. I like the idea of drawing the can on paper and shooting it. I will try that if it warms up a little. My dog hurt his foot so I don't know how much more hunting I'm going to get to do, season ends Feb. 15th.
And yes, the guy does know what he's talking about. He's hunted all his life and he's about 60 yrs. old. I just hunted with him the one time and he dropped birds all morning. I did get a few but not very many. We had our limit in a couple hours and it was mostly because of him. I have had a chance to get my limit but haven't been able to hit but about 50% of my shots if that many. I'm going to fabricate me a shim and see what that does and if that doesn't help I'm going to order a cylinder choke.
I shot a duck the other day with the skeet choke, the 7 1/2's and was about foorty yards from him and he never moved. When the pellets hit the water it looked like a full choke, that's what leads me to believe I need a more open choke. Thanks again!!