Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

savage/stevens 512 goldwing

Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default savage/stevens 512 goldwing

What do guys think of this O/U seemed like a nice gun for $479. I posted this in the fire arms forum also but this might have been a better place to ask this question.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM

Hey,did you ever get any info on this shotgun? I just saw your post. Today while at a local gunshop saw this gun and it looks great for the price.I realize this is an old post but I just found out about this gun today.
Any info appreciated !
Thanks !
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

On another website most say stay away from it for various reasons
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Spike

Can you list some of the reasons?Looked like a pretty nice gun when I saw it.Considered putting it on Santas list.Thanks,Take care,Paul..
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

had one for two years. cheap, efficient gun. locks up nice, orerrtty well balanced. no real issues for the price.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Spike

Thanks.Anyone else got a opinion?Take care,Paul...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

My friend shoots one. Seems like a nice gun for the Price, he complains that the action is a little stiff. and i know the first couple of times we shot skeet he had issues with it closing all the way, it would appear closed but the gun wouldnt fire cause it actaully wasnt closed all the way. Well after a bunch of couch time opening and closing it and oiling it he seems to have it working properly. It shoots well and seems to be balanced well too. Chokes are a little harder to find for it though, i know that much, you have to buy them from savage/stevens not to many after market chokes like you will find on your Brownings and Berretas. Seems like a good gun for the price though. The engraving is a little chessy too, but i dont think that should bother you unless your dropping a couple grand. But im partial to my Citori.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Spike

I think all new guns ,well the O/U's and SXS have that stiffness issue and alot folks seem to panic or take it to serious.A friend of mine had all the ga's of Stoger and since he rarely used them they were stiff as a board,you'd swear sometimes it would take 2 men to open the breach.So far I'm still interested.Nothing I havent experienced with other guns.Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.Take care,Paul..
Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jackson_q
I think all new guns ,well the O/U's and SXS have that stiffness issue and alot folks seem to panic or take it to serious.A friend of mine had all the ga's of Stoger and since he rarely used them they were stiff as a board,you'd swear sometimes it would take 2 men to open the breach.So far I'm still interested.Nothing I havent experienced with other guns.Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.Take care,Paul..
You are right, alot of new O/U have that problem, however the higher end ones typically, typically will not. The best way to pick an O/U however is to hold and play with it at the store. There not all made the same, and they hold differently depending on the shooter. I prefer a more compact 0/U and my father likes a longer gun with more weight forward. you got to throw it up to your shoulder and decide what sits best for you. I think the Savage is a great gun for the price, but ultimatly you have to decide what fits you the best. Some guns are more stiff in the action while others out of the box will be lose it just depends on the gun.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default Savage/Stevens 512 Goldwing

I purchased one of these in 20 gauge about 3 months ago at Dick's Sporting Goods (nickel receiver with gold pheasant inlay) and have ran through several hundred rounds at the skeet range. Great little gun; looks good and shoots well (I am averaging about 22/25 as a novice skeeter). It is still a little stiff to break open but not too bad and it is getting better as I use it more. Most of the people who look at it are surprised first that it is a Savage and secondly that the price is as low as it is. I almost bought a 28 gauge but was moving from a 12 gauge and decided on the 20 and have not been disappointed. I just may have to go get that 28 also....

Quick Reply: savage/stevens 512 goldwing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.