Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Rank Beginner

Old 12-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Default Rank Beginner

Hi there-

I'm absolutely new to hunting and very eager to learn. I'm mostly interested in game birds. However, a lot of books I've read, even those aimed at beginners, assume a lot of prior knowledge. I gather that most people learn how to hunt at the knee of an older relative. Lacking one of my own, I'm asking my boyfriend's uncle (an avid quail hunter) if he can show me the ropes, but in the meantime, what's the best way for a beginner to start out? Can anybody recommend some background reading?

I'm also interested in hunting with a slingshot. I haven't found much information on that, but with a lot of practice, do you think it would be a practical way to bring home quail, pheasant, woodcock, dove, or grouse? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default RE: Rank Beginner

A slingshot? Thats absolutly bonkers! Well first off you should get a gun, do you have one? If you havnt, take a hunters saftey course, you can learn lots! If you have any specific questions i'll try my best to answer them.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:41 PM

I've never handled a gun, so I'm going to look into taking a lot of safety courses and doing my homework first. I did read that people occasionally pick up grouse by slingshot, though.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: newpuppy

I've never handled a gun, so I'm going to look into taking a lot of safety courses and doing my homework first. I did read that people occasionally pick up grouse by slingshot, though.

where do you live? its rather hard to get close enough to a pheasant or bobwhite quail to shoot one with a slingshot, but a blue(scaled) quail will run on ya and give you a good opportunity to shoot one...

i prefer the lead slinging option of a shotgun best place to learn is to get out in the field and do it... if you don't feel comfy with a gun quite yet, just tag along with some people, you don't have to have a gun to learn!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Spike

blue grouse are often called fools hen because there so friendly to people so that would be your best bet.. where do you live?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I live in north Florida, about twenty minutes from Georgia. I think it's mostly quail territory, but I've heard that a decent drive North it's possible to find pheasant.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The Best way to start - enroll in a Hunter Education class in your state. You'll need the certificate to buy a license.

JW