Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 how have the birds done over winter >

how have the birds done over winter

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

how have the birds done over winter

Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default how have the birds done over winter

I' ve been out and about lately checking some of my huntin spots for pheasant sign and have been seeing quite afew birds if we ge good weather for the nesting season we should have a good population next fall I hope. It wasn' t to bad last yr my partner and I shot 30 somthing birds but it' s been better in the past
Old 03-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how have the birds done over winter

Looks good in Northeast Iowa
Old 03-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Spike

In northern Vermont, last season was a dud. Population was way down, and flushing birds was the rare. Our winter has been real cold with perhaps less than average snow fall. I hope it' s a good spring for nesting and re-population.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

South Dakota: Winter has been mild and birds should be ok but the real test will come this month and first part of April. Those late wet ice storms can be devastating on the pheasant.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Alberta is terrible and getting worse[:@] The winters have been mild but we are losing habitat daily, they have reduced the number of released birds considerably over the last few years also. We used to be as good as South Dakota but no longer. I actually got skunked this season, first time in my 20 years of hunting these beautiful birds.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:55 PM

We' ve had a mild winter here in North Idaho,but plenty of snow cover. We are hoping this will help produce a good crop of Ruffed Grouse. Haven' t had a good season in the last few years.

Michael
Old 03-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Had a great year this past season for chukar, huns and valley quail. And we haven' t had a winter. If the spring rains hold off, it should be even better next year in Central/Eastern Washington and Oregon.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw about a half dozen roosters today and that is more than I have seen in a long time around here . We have also had a good holdover of valley quail this winter so its looking very good so far . I believe the mild winters we have been having , had a lot to do with it . Even seeing some mountain quail where we never had them before .
Old 03-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

We just had a late storm but things went well with the temps staying up above the ice stage and got some good very needed moisture
Old 03-27-2003, 01:07 PM

the birds in sw idaho have done great, hoping for a dry warm spring, so the hatch will come off strong. took the pups out last sunday for a nice 2 hour walk moved over 350 valley quail and a bunch of chukars. chukars are starting to pair off, so it wont be long til thier laying.

Quick Reply: how have the birds done over winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.