Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 how have the birds done over winter >

how have the birds done over winter

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

how have the birds done over winter

Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: how have the birds done over winter

I was up in the mountains where I hunt this weekend and saw quite a few ruffed grouse and a decent amount of quail. We had a fairly mild winter as far as snow goes. Now if it would just stop raining, I' ll be happy! Although today is pretty dang nice!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:55 PM

in southeastern iowa it is lookin good here.i think it will be good
Old 05-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

We' ve recently had some heavy rains in Eastern/Central Washington. Only time will tell if it has had a negative impact on the birds.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM

WE ARE IN THE MIST OF THE BREEDING SEASON, ALOT OF RAIN WHICH CREATES GREAT COVER, BUT IT NEEDS TO STOP AND WARM UP FOR THE CHICKS. WENT DOWN IN THE CANYON LAST WEEK BIRDS WERE CALLING ALL OVER.
HUNTING GIRL WERE THOSE MT QUAIL YOU SAW????
E-MAIL ME IF YOUR INTRESTED IN A SWAP HUNT
Old 05-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Every weekend that I go home from college I see at least 10 -15 roosters in the ditch. Next season looks to be the best since about I could ever remember.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Oh ya werner. down in osceola it is looking really good. we were turkey hunting and we would see more pheasants than turkeys. I dont know what happened, but the population has just exploded in the last 3 years. It will be an excellent season.

Trc. Merc.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve been seeing alot of pheasants running with hens lately to looks like next yr could be a good one. trkymercanary I went thru osceola this last sunday on my way to new virginia to pick up a new GSP pup saw alot of turkeys in the fields as I drove thru nice lookin country you got there we where huntin NE MO. seeing quail running in pairs and hearing lots of pheasants calling
Old 05-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

WE had a longer than usual winter here with out any real breaks, but nothing real severe on the other hand.

A buddy and I have been doing habitat work for several years now for the upland birds. We have also released quail (bobwhites) over a number of years. The quail released two years ago this summer seem to have finally taken hold. Last fall we had a wild covey of about 23-25 birds in one of the areas we' d improved.

And now I hear them calling for mates this spring when out looking for aspargrass or shrooms! !

When I was a kid we had 5 coveys within walking distance of the house. Then came the hard winters of 77 & 78, no quail ever sense then. Now they are back and I love it. Nothing like walking in on a point of my shorthair and seeing the covey rise up.

I' ve been seeing good numbers of pheasants as well. I' m hopfull we have a good nesting year, as the carry over is good.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:53 PM

WE ARE HAVING GREAT TEMPS FOR THE YOUNG BIRDS WHICH ARE STARTING TO HATCH NOW!!!!!!! IF EVERYTHING HOLDS NOW, WEATHER WILL HAVE DAYS WERE THE CHUKAR FLUSHES WILL BE 500 PLUS BIRDS A DAY, PHEASANTS ALSO WILL BE UP ALONG WITH GROUSE AND QUAIL.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Matriarch Doe!

CHUKARBUSTER said:
HUNTING GIRL WERE THOSE MT QUAIL YOU SAW????
Yes. I' m seeing alot of grouse too. Lots of ruffed, a few blue. Only a few more months!

Quick Reply: how have the birds done over winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.