Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I'm excited!!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'm excited!!

Last night after a church meeting I was talking with a friend who bought 80 acres out east of Denver and was telling me about all the pheasant and chukars he has on his property. I about died. I've never hunted either (have done quail, grouse and dove) and have been itching. I don't know much about his property but he is situated close to a hunt club and he supposes that most of them are escapees from the club. He gave me permission to come out this year to hunt. I'm going to hatch some quail and pheasants for him next year to plant on his property and replace what I take. Not a bad deal as long as the city doesn't catch me growing a few birds in my back yard.

I'll try to get more info on his property, but any susgestions on how to hunt these? I know he has something of a wheat field on the property. It's just me and my son (maybe a buddy but no dog). I'll take any advise you'll give me.

Spud
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I'm excited!!

No long legged lab?!

Pen raised pheasants will run less than wild. Alot will try to hide by staying put but pheasants (pen and wild) are runners. To work without a dog, you'll want to walk hap-hazzardly. Basically, walk slow - stop every so often like 20 feet for 1/2 minute- walk slow - walk fast for 5 feet.Mix it up. To a setting bird, stopping might spook it to flight. A sudden burst of speed could spook a birdjust ahead of you.

With 3 people, you can do a line but watch each other carefully. But, I would first try to see the likely escape route then leave someone there and push the birds to him.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Mite, thanks for the advice! I'll try your suggestion.

Spud
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

80 acers isn't much ground and you will push the birds off quickly. Walk the fence lines and try to drive the birds into the center of the land. This will give you a better chance at them.
The thing you have to remember is the birds will gain back there wildness between now and season, if the hawks don't eat them first. The good part is it sounds like you have a holding pen from the bird farm and new birds will be coming in later in the season. Sounds like a great place to take a kid hunting.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like I might need some help. If I get a buddy or two to walk and help block. I'll get a better idea of what the property boundaries and how they are in relation to the hunt club so we can try to pushe them out rather that back. We'll need a blocker as well.