So EXCITED but need help >

So EXCITED but need help

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

So EXCITED but need help

Old 05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default So EXCITED but need help

I just got the best news of my military career! I just got orders to go to Idaho and have always wanted to head west and hunt but I have no idea what the score is out there, how to hunt anything and where I should start. I hunt with a bow and also can shot my 270 fair to excellent to Iowa standards but you all out west are true marksmen and woman. I am writing all this in hopes someone can help me out and head me in the write direction on what there is to hunt and where I have to go to have a good chance at a big animal. I am so excited!!! Well thank in advance for the help. Also I am going to be in the south west portion of Idaho if that helps or matter. Thanks again.
Marshall
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Default RE: So EXCITED but need help

South West Idaho is arid, if that's any help. You're 270 should be adequate for most things you'd want to hunt here - the one exception is moose.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Are you going to be anywhere near Pocatello?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am not sure I am going to Mt. Home AFB if that helps anyone out any. Thanks for the help, and info.
marshall
Old 05-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't live in Idaho, but in Nevada, about 250 miles south of Mt. Home. I haven't been up there for about 10 years. I do know there is good elk hunting to the south and east, but that is all draw in the South Hills unit. The areas to the south and west are restriced to 2 pt deer I think. CJ Strike Resivoir offers excellent fishing for catfish, trout, and perch. A little farther south, in Nevada is also some good fishing. The South Fork of the Owyhee River also offers good fishing, but mainly for smallies and trout. The Jarbidge River area also has good fishing in it. All these areas should be pretty good for upland game hunting also. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mac87toy

I am not sure I am going to Mt. Home AFB if that helps anyone out any.
Welcome to the West.. I'm personally at Hill AFB in Northern Utah here (contractor though). Mt. Home is near Boise, ID.

Anyway, I hunt in Idaho all the time. I assume you will have to get non-resident licenses? or does your military status change that? Anyway, here is some important info on Idaho.

- May 31st is the deadline for controlled units (has some great units, tough odds)
- You archery hunt so it's a huge plus. You can buy over the counter tags (res or non-res) for alot of good units that are normally low odds rifle units. I personally bow hunt in SE Idaho on the Caribou Natl. Forest. I can't vouch for anywhere else in the state. I hunt Elk and Deer
- Now the best one, if you have kids?? Idaho has a mentoring program that flat rocks!!! For each tag you purchase, one child 12+ can purchase that same tag for pennies on the dollar.. literally, it's like $12 for Elk and $9 for Deer (may have went up, my oldest is 11, so I don't watch it too close)

Anyway, visit somewhere like terraserver.microsoft.com and check out some maps of the areas. Put a few posts out here once you pick a general region and I'm sure you will find somewhere to go. I'd be happy to answer any questions via email too or reply here.

Have fun!!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

He can hunt in Idaho as a resident if he is stationed in Mt. Home. There are sooo many places to go you can just jump in your truck and drive any direction from Boise area and get to a good hunting spot. All you have to do is go talk with the local Fish and Game office and they will steer you in the right direction. You'll fall in love with Idaho trust me. If you want to hunt up farther north let me know.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, you will be in the desert. I got stationed there in 1989 and was there until 1993. The name does not match the environment. There is good hunting around, I would steer clear of areas around the base and the mountains above. They get hammered pretty hard. Mt. Home used to have a great MWR program. I used to rent bass boats for 70.00 a weekend. If I can remember right, you have to wait 30 days and then can get a res lisc. as military stationed in Idaho. What is your AFSC anyway?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 AM

You will be close to Boise. I have some friends that live in between Boise and Pocatello and they do a lot of hunting around that area. There should not be any problems with hunting in the local area. Your .270 should be about all you need. I grew up in SE Idaho and that is about the most popular gun out there. I don't have any honey holes to send you to but, keep in touch and maybe I can hook you up with my buddy in Burley and he can steer you in the right direction.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lived in in Boise a few years,I hunted up around Orifino its north of Boise up by Lewiston ID.
So you will be stationed in Mt. Home,I hope you like sagebrush cause thats about all you can see,there is good hunting down on the Snake River breaks,down around Bear Lake and Georgetown area,I think most of it is permit,my brother lives in Pocetello.
There is some good fishing in that state also,you might wan't to get a hold of Elknut or Idahoelkinstructor,they both live in that state.
BBJ

Quick Reply: So EXCITED but need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.