Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Choke tubes

Old 01-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Choke tubes

Which tube works best for early season pheasant hunting. Also how about late season. I have been using full with my mossberg 500 for early season. I also use a full with my winchester 1300. People have told me to use other choke tubes. What would you say?
Thanks

Edited by - wernerjd on 01/31/2003 14:01:46
Old 01-31-2003, 10:28 PM

Default RE: Choke tubes

I personally think it depends on the shot and your abilities. A full choke is tight. You had better be good to use this at close range. What works best for you and your circumstances is best. If you are missing, open your choke or get plenty of practice.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

For an early season choke tube, your gonna want to use an improved cylinder. This is because as early season birds aren' t jumpy,you might have to be right up on top of them before they flush. If you are close to them you don' t want to obliterate the meat by useing a full choke. Now late season is totally the opposite. After a few months of being hunted, pheasants are very jumpy at any noise that they are not used to. Be aware that they might even flush once you shut your car door. So use a modified or full choke. This will save the pattern from spreading to fast and give you a good opportunity for a far shot. Good luck!!! Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really can' t see using a full choke in any gauge other than a .410. I seem to get by with an improved and a modified at most. It seems a full would ruin alot of birds. Just my opinion