Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Has anyone bird hunted?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Has anyone bird hunted?

I wish we had some quail and pheasants in Louisiana.
We do not have them here as a rule as our winters are to hard on the quail. But, we do have a small pheasant population in some areas of the state. With our changing climate up here I think that pheasants can start making it if people would let some be for a short while.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM

I Finaly got a real answer on Pheasants from a wildlife biologist.
They can raisein the southbecause the egg shells are too hard and the chicks can not get out.
When i asked what makes the shells to hard i was told something in the soil (Minerals)
It does not seam to effect the Quail or other birds so why would it have an effect on Pheasants?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Interesting. I did not know that. I just read an article in American Hunter about the declining population of quail in the southern U.S. It contributed many factors to the decline: habitat loss #1, predators, fire ants. It was a lot more things than I realized. Did you know that racoons are the number 1 predator of quail. They said even deer have been known to eat quail eggs.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Quail are the chickens of the southern fields. Everything likes to eat them.
The nest robbers are still the #1 Predator followed by avain attacts from above.
I have even seen turkeys eat chicks.
Quail have so many problems
Habitat being #1Farmers just have to farm everything to make a livingand growing pine trees is very profitable.
Cotton is still King but the pesticides they use to kill boweivels kills the quail as well. Also the defol stuff to kill the cotton plant and make the bulbs open is some very toxic stuff it is just like agent orange.
Pen Raised quail will not reproduce in the wild. The Problem is the hens will not sit on the eggs.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: daleh

Quail are the chickens of the southern fields. Everything likes to eat them.
The nest robbers are still the #1 Predator followed by avain attacts from above.
I have even seen turkeys eat chicks.
Quail have so many problems
Habitat being #1Farmers just have to farm everything to make a livingand growing pine trees is very profitable.
Cotton is still King but the pesticides they use to kill boweivels kills the quail as well. Also the defol stuff to kill the cotton plant and make the bulbs open is some very toxic stuff it is just like agent orange.
Pen Raised quail will not reproduce in the wild. The Problem is the hens will not sit on the eggs.
Nice Videos!