Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How are GSP's in cold water? >

How are GSP's in cold water?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How are GSP's in cold water?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Default How are GSP's in cold water?

I live in Michigan and want to look into a new dog. I am interested in a GSP but not sure how they work in cold water. Are they ok in cold water for waterfowl hunting?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How are GSP's in cold water?

ORIGINAL: procos

I live in Michigan and want to look into a new dog. I am interested in a GSP but not sure how they work in cold water. Are they ok in cold water for waterfowl hunting?

Thanks,

Chuck
i dont think so but others are better on that..i highly suggest you look at lab but i like gsp also..
Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Thanks,

Chuck
i dont think so but others are better on that..i highly suggest you look at lab but i like gsp also..
I am also looking into Yellow Labs as well and forgot to mention that. I am a huge Grouse hunter even more so than Waterfowl but want a versatile dog that can hunt both. I currently own a Goldie that is 3 1/2 and she is going away on Tuesday to be trained properly. Depending on whether or not she can be trained to point I'll get my next dog off that. Meaning if she can only be trained to flush I'll have to go with the Lab to flush birds with her. If she can be trained to point I'll want another pointing dog to hunt with her. I am hoping she can be trained to point because she is always pointing at all sorts of animals. For Grouse hunting working with pointing dogs sure does make it easier. But if she can't be trained to point I'll definitely go with the Yellow Lab to hunt with her.

Chuck
Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

for both, i would go with LAB..check with doc e on here,he has POINTING LAB..

from what i have seen in 50 years at this, lab is the all around dog but is not best on birds..the english setters,irish,other pointing dogs do great..

LAB can do it all but not the BEST on all..labs nose is good one but some of those bird dogs have a better nose on birds..yet lab will hunt rabbits, grouse, pheasants, coyotes,raccoons, mice,fox on and on..

thats dog i want to be around..

Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool water = GSPs are excellent.
Chilly water = They need a vest
Cold water = I wouldn't suggest it.

Pointing Labs are awesome on Grouse.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:59 PM

We have a GSP, she loves water but my husband does not duck hunt. I thought that was what Labs were for. I am sure you could use a GSP for that, preferrably a Wire haired.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: lost hunter

I thought that was what Labs were for.
Well they are but since I hunt Grouse 4 times as much as duck I am leaning more towards a pointing dog. I don't have the room for another dog so I have to try and find a happy medium.

Chuck
Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 PM

I have a GSP he is a great dog. i have trained him to layout and field hunt, he points great. But, as for COLD water. He gets too cold too fast and struggles swimming. He'll do it but, it isn't a good idea.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

If you get a good GSP with solid drive, he'll go in cold water.

I have a 7 month old pudelpointer. I put a couple of pictures of him here (scroll down):

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1776547

As you can see, he's pretty thin on his underside. Despite that, he's typically in the water going after a dead duck as soon as it hits the water. I would say the water is in the low 40s/high 30s right now (not sure where that falls on the cold/cool scale). While he's in the water, he's not cold, but as soon as he gets out, he does get cold. He was shaking a lot, and even chattering his teeth. I don't use a vest out of fear that he'll get tangled up in something (more due to where I hunt). What I have found that helps tremendously is bringing an old wool jacket or blanket with me. As soon as he's out of the water, I wrap him in the wool for about 5 minutes. After that, he's fine. No shaking; no teeth chattering.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lost hunter

I thought that was what Labs were for.
Well they are but since I hunt Grouse 4 times as much as duck I am leaning more towards a pointing dog. I don't have the room for another dog so I have to try and find a happy medium.

Chuck
Pointing Lab !

Quick Reply: How are GSP's in cold water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.