Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant vs Hawk Fights

Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Pheasant vs Hawk Fights

All,

Last year I saw three seperate Pheasant vs Hawk fights. Two of the fights only last a few minutes before the Hawk flew off. One fight lasted at 6-8 minutes before theHawk flew off. The Hawks would dive at the Pheasant and try to get them in the air. As long as the Pheasant stayed on the ground, they could fight off theHawk.

Considering how many fightsI saw, I thought seeing these fights was pretty common. But as I talked to other hunters, many saidthey have never seen a Pheasant vs Hawk fight. How many other hunters see these fights on afrequent basis?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Pheasant vs Hawk Fights

When walking a field I see several hawks crusing and diving on birds. I have never seen a pheasant fight a hawk off. It is always the remains of a pheasant on the ground after the hawk has had its fill.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen it only once between a Red Tailed Hawk and Pheasant - The hawk finally gave up but I noticed (as i'm sure everyone else has) pheasants are almost as big as Red Hawks
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 AM

WE HAD A PHEASANT THAT WASN'T HIT VERY GOOD AND WAS RUNNING IN FRONT OF US. IT CUT UP INTO A PICKED CORN FIELD AND A HAWK CRASHED ON TOP OF IT. THEY WENT ABOUT 2 OR 3 ROUNDS AT EACH OTHER, WE JUST STOOD A WATCHED IN AMAZEMENT.