Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

wild vs.pen rised pheasents

Old 11-23-2002, 11:42 PM

Default wild vs.pen rised pheasents

Do you guys think there is a big difference between wild and pen rised roosters?
I have only seen the wild ones last summer while driving in SD. know i am hunting PA. pheasents which they stock during the season,and i can tell you they really could run and flush and flay very quick.
So what is exactly the difference?

TOONS

SAFTY IS # 1
Old 11-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wild vs.pen rised pheasents

To me it seems the wild birds will run more ,while the pen raised bird isn't used to running. We used to hold off firing because the birds got up to close .
Old 11-24-2002, 08:25 PM

Huge difference! Wild birds will be more savvy, flush wild more frequently, run more, fly harder, fly faster, harder to knock down, and funner to hunt. But there is also a difference in wild birds. Young birds (less than one year old) are less savvy and more likely to be killed by a hunter. An old rooster will be a greater challenge for dog and hunter.

Experience the difference for yourself and you will agree.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-25-2002, 09:57 AM

I have hunted both and to me there is a huge difference. Wild birds are just smarter. They flush wild. They run sooner and flush out of range. They fly/run back more often. It is not very often (unless there are alot of wild birds) that they make dumb mistakes. If you hunt an area where there are a lot of wild birds, I mean a ton, they seem to kinda get dumb also. But usually that only happens in the prime areas of the dakotas, Neb, Kan, etc. And many times, even those numbers have been enhanced with pen raised birds. If you are lucky enough to harvest a truly wild 1.5 year old bird, you have a trophy. Especially if it is not harvested in prime roo country. I hunt Minnesota, SD, and ND and with all due respect to the dakotas, Minnesota birds are smarter on average, IMHO.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted both ,the wild I agree are more savy and a great challenge for both dog and hunter. I disagree though that wild birds are "tougher". The native bird that doesn't hold for a dog or flushes wild give the illusion of being tougher as to the combination of in more cases than not , a longer range shot and dubious shotgunning skills. Shooting over dogs I find most shots in the 25-30 yard range with the ocassional shot streching to 40-45 yards.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't see how the gene pool could be deeper in MN. then in other states but maybe lol.
Well I have hunted SD pheasants all my life and now we also raise pheasants and many things come into play for a wild bird. Many game farms just release birds for your $ and really don't care about the bird. For a wild bird on opening of the season you must have certain items in place.
1. Birds should have been raised in very large flight pens.
2. Get them off the commercial feed as soon as you can.
3. genetics of the bird = some are good some are not
4. Stay out of the pens ! Use self feeders and waterers
5. Release the birds at around 8 weeks old
These are just a few of the things you need for developing a wild bird and if these are followed you will have a 24" tailed wild pheasant by hunting time.

curt nulle