Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training a pointer

Old 11-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Training a pointer

I agree alot wiyh what Alaska has said, however I find working a wing around young dogs help you out alot. As long as you do not let the pup catch it. Alot of young dogs here are started on wings and then the birds. It appears to help with pointing and the whoah comands some.

when she gets birdy don't say anything, let her bump them.
What happens when they take it on their own to catch them? Mine did and they were wild birds. He got the idea and caught four in 2 weeks. This caused another problem for me getting him to hold on point. I am glad that he has now passed that stage but, it did create alot more work getting him out of it.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 AM

To keep the dog from gun shyness, I would start early.

While the dog is feeding, make sudden noise (banging a pan lif if you are in the house, buy a toy cap gun (or starter pistol) and pop a cap). If you make the noise while they are pre-occupied, it won't startle them as much. You definitely don't want to start shooting a bunch over the dog with out getting them used to noise.

Working with a wing and fishing pole is a very good method to start the dog on. I did that wiht my GSP and it worked well. Of course you do need to get the dog on birds and work him.

God luck. There is nothing more fulfilling than to see a dag working and on point.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is how I trained my GSP to not be gun shy.

I bought a very inexpensive blank pistol and tied her up on a lead about 30 feet long. I tok her out for a walk into a crp field. I let her get as far out on the lead as she could and then would fire the cap pistol while walking behind my back the first time and act like nothing happened. She turned back to look and see what happened the first few times but realized I was paying no attention to it and just kept going. The next steps are to bring her closer in each time and do the same thing. Eventually the dog will be right underneath you and should not care about the noise.

Then I moved up to a 20 GA shotgun and fired blanks thru it with the same method, and then the 12 gauge.

As was stated before most pointing breads know how to point. You can only teach them to listen to what you want them to do like Woah, Heel, Come. I did the old fishing pole Pheasant wing thing as well.

Then just started taking my dog hunting and only shooting birds that she pointed. She is still only a little over 2 years old but is progressing very well. She is amazing to watch, especially since I trained her myself. Very gratifying.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

While the dog is feeding, make sudden noise (banging a pan lif if you are in the house, buy a toy cap gun (or starter pistol) and pop a cap).
Get them on the birds first!, alot of dogs become gun shy because of the stuff mentioned above. You let the dogs build up the excitement and then introduce the noise. Just going around banging pans and things can confuse a dog very quickly and the next thing you know you have a gun shy dog. So becarefull on breaking in the noise.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have sent you an e-mail as your PM box was full. Good Luck with them, Phil.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.
Brandon
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM

I have 3 year old GSP. I used a few wings and a dummy with scent to train him to point, but really he did it on his own. As for gun shy. I made him a few loud toys he liked. pennies in a milk jug stuff like that. I have shot a bunch of birds over him. He points and retrieves. I don't think you have to do much but spend time with the dog. Praise good stuff and discourage bad. I never had a pointer before this one, never read anything about training him, just took it the natural route.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, for most of the pointers it does come on natural to point. The training is mostly firming up what they do, as some will try to sneek up on them when what you realy want is for them to stay on point.

I am glad you got the feathers today Brandon, just remember not to let your pup catch them. Not until you are ready for retreiving excersizes any ways. Good Luck with the pup, Phil
Old 12-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Whoa training can be done on a bench so dog is chest high. I do it with all my pups every day when I come home or let them out of the pen, they enjoy it because it gets them up to your level where they like it (its why dogs jump up on you they want to be up there with you)Then when they have that down pat you can use it to reinforce the Point to make them stay on point and not creep or bump. Pigeons are easy to catch and keep. They will home after a month or so in the pen/cage you build. They have cheap orange mesh releases you can buy to release the bird when you want. Tie dog off when he is on point to hold them there then release bird. A video beat a book because you can see hwat they are talking about.