Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
East Colorado Walk-In Access program >

East Colorado Walk-In Access program

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

East Colorado Walk-In Access program

Old 11-13-2002, 08:50 AM

Default East Colorado Walk-In Access program

Anyone hunted the new 'Walk-In Access Program' land in East Colorado? How are the pheasant numbers? Is there quality land in this program? Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
Old 11-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: East Colorado Walk-In Access program

Sugarmtn, I haven't personally hunted any of the walk in land here in Colo., but a couple guys that I know did this year, and honestly, they were disappointed, one with the quality of land in the program, two, with the number of birds that they saw, and three, there were alot of other hunters trying with them. As you're probably aware, Colo is not known for the bird numbers, this state is spotty at best. I'm sure, later in the season the number of hunters will decrease, but the number of birds won't increase. Plan on lots of walking, the land is big and open the birds are runners. A good snow and cold would help alot with success. It's a good program that Colo. started. The state is trying to keep hunters here instead of all of them crossing the state line to find bird hunting, but honestly, I for one will keep crossing the state line to the East, more birds to found. As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!Good Luck if when ya come!!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:46 AM

Howler - thanks for the info. I may rethink my December trip and head further east like you. Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:35 AM
Fork Horn

South Dakota has a very extensive walk in program but as stated in CO. they are full for the first two weeks of the season. I hunt them later on and find plenty of birds and little hunting pressure.

February 2003 = tired and Re-tired cop
Old 11-27-2002, 02:10 PM

I WENT FOR OPENING WEEKEND AND THE REPORTS ARE TRUE. NO BIRDS, TOO MANY HUNTERS. THE LAND THEY HAVE IS NOT THE BEST. IT IS VERY OPEN AND THE BIRDS RUN. YOU REALLY NEED PUSHERS AND BLOCKERS TO GET ANY BIRDS UP IN THE FIELDS AVAILIBLE. THEY HAD NOT CUT ANY CORN OUT THERE YET WHICH PLAYED A BIG ROLL IN NO BIRDS, WALK IN AREAS WERE RIGHT NEXT TO PRIVATE FIELDS WITH 5' TALL CORN. I HAD TALKED TO MANY LOCAL RESIDENTS AND DUE TO THE DROUGHT WE HAVE HAD THEY SEEN HENS NESTING THIS SPRING BUT, NO YOUNG BIRDS. A LOT OF DISSAPOINTED HUNTERS THAT WEEKEND. DON'T GET ME WRONG, PEOPLE SHOT A FEW BIRDS AND IT MAY SHAPE UP IN DECEMBER WITH A LITTLE SNOW AND LESS HUNTING PRESSURE. IT IS NOT THE BEST WALK-IN ACCESS PROGRAM BUT, I THINK WITH A FEW CHANGES COLORADO MAY EVENTUALLY TURN IT INTO SOMETHING. IF YOU DO DECIDE TO COME OUT THIS WAY THE BEST SUCCESS REPORTS I HAVE HEARD ABOUT IS AROUND THE HOLYOKE AREA.