Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 DO you pick up your shotgun shells >

DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 AM

Default RE: DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Picking up your empties along with any other trash you see is a matter of respect for the landowner. Leaving empties around is unsightly and surely not good for the farmer's equipment!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 AM

I see no difference between leaving empty hulls and plastic cups and or food wrappers.

Guys who leave empty hulls are the same guys who think cigarette butts can be thrown anywhere and trash that gets near the can is "close enough".

Plastic doesn't rot away, if everyone left hulls think of the garbage that would pile up in a few years. It is just lazy and ignorant NOT to take them with you. What happened to the rule of thumb for all hunters that "If it went into the field/woods with you it comes out with you."?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

I see no difference between leaving empty hulls and plastic cups and or food wrappers.

Guys who leave empty hulls are the same guys who think cigarette butts can be thrown anywhere and trash that gets near the can is "close enough".

Plastic doesn't rot away, if everyone left hulls think of the garbage that would pile up in a few years. It is just lazy and ignorant NOT to take them with you. What happened to the rule of thumb for all hunters that "If it went into the field/woods with you it comes out with you."?
very true

Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 AM

I almost always pick up my shells, because i will use them again to reload. I usually only use AA reload shells anyway.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM

I for one would never deliberately leave empty cases lying around. to be a litter bug would lose my permission to shoot on most of my permissions.
there is just no excuse other than not being able to find them in poor light.
I certainly take a dim view to finding empties on my shoots, it shows a lack of respect for the countryside and to land owners.

leeboy
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

I agree 100% Trash is trash.

I pick up my hulls, and try to pick up other trash I find, and chunk it all in the bed of my truck. After opening weekend of dove season we look like we fought a war. (We camp opening weekend)
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I make sure I pick up any trash I see.If I shoot in one place for a long time and I think about it,I will probably pick up the empty shells unless there is a whole lot.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 AM

For years I did not bother picking up empties, thinking that there were not many and were scatter thoughout the fields. Then like a lot of the other posters here, I realized that I was littering. Now I try very hard to pickup the emties. I hunt in heavy cover a lot and my automatic kicks the shells out a ways, so I can't always find them. However, if I run across empties while hunting, I pick them up.

Respect for the land is important.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM

This is a great topic, thanks everyone for the discussion.

I ALWAYS pick them up whenI am target shooting. In fact, when we go target shooting, we take plastic bags and pick up trash for 15 minutes PRIOR to our shooting. Then we always pick up our own when we are finished. It is amazing what a difference that can make. I am trying to teach my kids to be part of the solution rather than being part of the problem. They didn't understand at first, but now they do. I'll never forget one trip out, I asked my son if we were forgetting anything. He said, "Oh, I'll go get some bags!"

Now, I will admit, I am not so good when hunting. If I am in a duck blind, I pick up as much trash as I can. But out upland hunting, I am just not in the habit. Usually after someone shoots we are so focused on making sure the dog is on the bird and readyif another bird flushes that it just doesn't get picked up.

Again, thanks to all you, I will put much more of an effort intoretrieving the empty hulls. I do pick up any litter along the way that I see including other empty hulls.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to pick mine up. However, I can't say I pick them up 100% of the time, So, I can't knock anyone who doesn't pick them up. But I think its our responsiblity as hunters to practice conservation and if we see shells or or other trash on the ground to pick them up and keep our hunting lands clean and natural.

Quick Reply: DO you pick up your shotgun shells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.