Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Stevens SxS opinions sought

Old 04-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Stevens SxS opinions sought

Ran into a Stevens Upland Special?? Think it might have been a 411. Curious as to what peoples thoughs were on this brand/model. Had never seen one myself, but did like the handling and the light colored stock and forearem. Looked like new and think the were asking around $300
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Stevens SxS opinions sought

I have a Steven's 20ga SxS and like the way it handles. The only thing I don't care for is the barrels are choked modified and full. I'm going to spend the $50 this summer to have the full choke bored out Improved Cylinder. IC and Modified should do me fine.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Well it's better than no gun at all. They are functional and for hunting are what I call a good "beater" shotgun that one can throw in a case in the trunk and have available if you're on the road and can get in a hour or so of hunting.
IMHO they are heavy and like a club. I do try to find the 311 & 411 cheap and cut the barrels down to between 20- 22 inches , add a new bead and trim away some of the "fat " on the stock . In that length they make the ideal beater for rabbits,grouse and woodcock in heavy cover and people buy them when I make them for coach guns for cowboy shoots
Old 05-06-2006, 05:41 PM

I have 411 (Baikal) for 2 years now. Work horse, never had any problems with it, shot slugs, clay and birds with it, always good. I like its weight vs. lighter shotguns I had. It is my field gun and would reccomend ti as a field gun.