Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

egg hatching??

Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default egg hatching??

i got pheasants last year to raise and i kept a few to get bigger..well i went to the pen and theres a clutch of eggs.. now the other part the hen flew up out of the cage.. were going to attempt to get her back in becuase she should hang around the cage. if we cant should i incubate them?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: egg hatching??

I would if I wanted to raise them like you said. I opened up my pen thinking they would stay around but, I've nevr seen them again. Four
roosters and three hens and I yet to see them, others around town have seen a rooster and only one hen on a few occasions. And they were a long ways apart. Also I'm not sure but, I was told that pheasants born under incubators will nest and lay the eggs and seldom hatch them.
Anyways good luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father and I raised pheasants years ago. We've had pheasants escape but they would still hang around the house. We would see them from time to time. They must do OK with raising young because a few times we would see chicks with them. Unfortunately the fox, hawks and owls must have gotten them because by the end of summer we didn't see any pheasants.

On another ocassion, I had hens set on eggs and hatch them in the pen.

Be careful with the roosters in the spring. They will fight all the time and kill each other. We use to section off the pen and put one rooster in with about 6 hens. Sometimes we would trade roosters with other people that raise pheasants. We did this to get a different blood line and prevent inbreeding.

Try to catch that hen that escaped at night. Put some feed out scattered around the outside the pen, to keep her around. In the evening, if you see her, keep an eye on her until after dark. Then get a large fish net a catch her.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

We hatched some quail a year ago and kept a few. The female was a prolific layer, but the males wouldn't ferilize. There is a way to tell if the egg is fertilized or not, but I'd have to ask my wife. One got out and I chase her, and she'd come back close to the pen. I went out at night (around mid night) and she was snuggled up next to the pen. Use a flash light and get a big fishing net and you might have a pretty good chance of cating the bird.

Spud
Old 04-20-2006, 05:47 PM

I believe you it may be to late now.....Phin or Fluff might have scared off the pheasants by now.....Incubating them would be cool though
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the hen doesn't come back, then you can try incubating them. I'd check pretty soon. Raising pheasant chicks can be tough though. They are more acceptable to disease or dying than normal domestic poultry. And make sure not to raise them with domestic poultry. I raised over 60K ringneck pheasants, from chicks, andthe #1 thing toensure is that everything is clean. Those things seem to die even if you look at them wrong. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:54 AM

If she has been setting on the eggs you have toput them into an incubator before they get cold. If she is just laying them and not setting, they will still be good for a while.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

i got pheasants last year to raise and i kept a few to get bigger..well i went to the pen and theres a clutch of eggs.. now the other part the hen flew up out of the cage.. were going to attempt to get her back in becuase she should hang around the cage. if we cant should i incubate them?

Depends on how long the eggs were unattended and if they are fertile. Did you have a cock in the coop? If so, you might want to candle the eggs for blood spots, before you decide to incubate.