Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

questions on begining

Old 03-02-2006, 06:46 PM

Default questions on begining

hope you all dont think im that bad,, but for 10 + years i have been involved with the APBT's,but in december i got my first GSP. i have been trying to learn what i can on doing right by the breed.now some of my ?'s are: when is itright to start teaching your dog to go for birds? teaching the dog to be used to guns(age wise)? and is there anyone in the northeast that comes to the board that would have patience and time to teach someone just learning?

Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: questions on begining

If youwere involved inAPBT then you should be familiar with basic obediance. One ofthe things you'll want to teach the dog is 'woah'. The command is suppose to stop the dog in it's tracks.Some people use it for safety, some for steadying the dog on point. Note thatwhen the dog is pointing, it's that stillness just before pouncing.

In terms of introduction to birds and introduction to gunfire; there are alot of differing schools on the subject. You'll have to sift through what everyone recommends and pick the methods that suit you.

But first off, you'll need to socialize your puppy. Secondly, you'll need to find some time every day to let the dog run. All gundogs need energy to burn off so the daily walk really won't cut it. I take my pup for couple hours daily for her to run. Thirdly, buy good food. Something with high protein and fat content. This is different than most breeds because the dog is going to be active. I feed Purina ProPlan 28 protein/18 fat with 10% moisture content. Vet says it's a well balanced product.

My suggestion is read up on some books or buy DVDs.Delmar Smith book is good. There are some professional trainers on this board but they mainly hang out under the sporting dog section.

Training a gundog is not much different than normal OB. We all deal with behavioral issues. The methods are different however but you still have to read a dog and take it at the dog's pace. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 AM

I train pointing dogs what part of the northeast are you from. But Mite is correct you will need to teach obediance and whoa as well as socialize first. I would also recomend richard walters book Gun Dog and the delmar smith books my only suggestion is take and use pieces from each training method don't take what each say as thats the way it has to be every dog and situation is different just apply what you read to your dog in a way that works for you.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 AM

We train pointing dogs as well. What gm says is fine, learn to read your dog. We also breed GSPs. I had one dog that was actually finding and pointing at three months. Huntedand used him guiding at 6 months.I have had others that did not settle into it until 9 months. Each dog is going to be different. What part of the Northeast are you from?