Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 side by side or over & under >

side by side or over & under

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

side by side or over & under

Old 02-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default side by side or over & under

For those of you that shoot doubles for game, I wonder which works best for you, and why?

I tried a search on this topic and pulled nothing up; 'hope it has not been overdone.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Default RE: side by side or over & under

I like the Parker 28ga in pigeon grade
Old 02-16-2006, 07:11 AM

That's like asking Blonde or Brunnette.....

I personally went and lean O/U. I have shot and hunted both, and for me personally I like the clean line of a single barrel when I shoulder. I do think that there are some gorgeous S/S guns out there though.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:05 AM

I have the Browning Citori White Lighting O/U 28 gauge....I too like looking down a single barrel.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: isshe

I have the Browning Citori White Lighting O/U 28 gauge....I too like looking down a single barrel.

I also agree!

Great avatar isshe!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:16 AM

I do like...scratch that, LOVE SxS. They look better. They feel better. But the truth of the matter is that I shoot better with a O/U. Browning makes one citori with a english grip. The superlight feather I think. If it's to be a functional hunting gun and not a range gun I'd highly recommend that straight grip. It makes carrying in the field much more pleasant.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 PM

I have both s/s, and o/u and I like them both for different reasons. Truth be told, though I more often than not carry my s/s in the field, I shoot an o/u better. I think I know the reasons for this.

My 12g o/u fits me perfectly, and is a heavy gun, so it swings itself once I start it. It's a cheap gun, a Stoeger. Because I shoot it well, and have shot a lot of game with it I can't seem to part with it and doubt I ever will.

The s/s is a Beretta 20g silver hawk. It's a good looking gun, and I like the 20, but it is an ill fitting gun. I need a bit more drop in the heel. as a result I don't shoot it well.I'm having the stock fit with an adjustable butt pad next week. Hopefully this will change my current shooting trend with this gun.

My other gun is a 28g Gamba o/u. The interesting thing about this gun is that it too is ill fitting, but I still manage to shoot it well. Is this because it's an o/u? I don't know. Could be because it's so light. Hunting primarily grouse and woodcockI do a lot of snap shooting, so a light gun in a small guage could easily be shot effectively with lousy form.

If you can shoot a lot of different gun to see which you like, or which suits your shooting style. Also, pay attention to gun fit. I am learning the hard way that gun fit really is everything when it comes to shotgunning.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot both s/s and o/u but prefer the o/u because of the single sight plane. I had poor success with s/s until I learned to shoot better with my over/unders. Many side by sides are extremely barrel heavy in 16 or 12 ga. and then in lighter gauges they can be too light and be whippy. If you choose a s/s make sure you get a chance to bust some clays with it first.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I also shoot o/u but in the field it really don't make a heck of a difference. The gun should fit you. In theory, you're not suppose to be looking down the barrel,you're suppose to concentrate on the bird. Once you mount the gun, you should automatically be looking straight down the barrel.

In target shooting, there's alittle more to it because the little clay things are moving much much faster.

But I shoot best with 870 pump because that gun fits me well.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Spike

I think you bring up a good question. I believe it’s predicated on personal preference. Like many who have posted here, I have both O/U and S/S. My Side x Side is an old Fox which is a joy to shoot. I use it for light upland game (quail, Grouse, Dove). I have a browning and rug red label, they have 3in chambers so they work well for Pheasants and partridge. I do think that one shoots best with a shot gun that has been fitted. With a fitted gun both mounting and site picture seem to come together automatically. Either way if you’re going to get one or the other, get a pretty one

Quick Reply: side by side or over & under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.