Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Introduction to gun shot

Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Introduction to gun shot

How did you first introduce your dog to gun shot?Did you begin by some not so loud shot like .22 or .......?
I have not had a dog yet but will be getting one in a years time.
Sorry guys I just realized that I should have posted this tread under the hunting dogs forum but its I guess too late to do that.
But its not like I posted a dog message in a fishing forum. Upland gamers are almost all hunting dog fans if not owners.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Introduction to gun shot

Black lab. Paired food presentation with regular 12 gauge blast. It just was not a problem for him. When we headed out into the weeds shotgun in hand, he was happy as lark.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

I let the dog ina field. The first time held point I shot a .22 blank. Everytime sheheld something onpoint I fired. The second outing was at a gamefarm where owner knew I was training a young dog. So we planted birds one by one. Shot over her this time with a .410 but only if she held point. Her first real hunting trip at 7mo old, already had the association so when she heard gunfire, she wanted to check every one out. Rest of the season, she was fine with multiple gunshots.

If you do loud noises + food, make sure you do one gun first when introducing. Then gradually, more guns. It takes a couple of hunting trips for the dog to make the assocation; bang = birds.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 PM

I start when they are young or whenever i get them even if they are a couple years old.
Bang the food pan on the ground a little at first more latter. then feed
no gunshots at the kennel
do not take the dog to the skeet field and tie him out on the high house!!
i had to fix one this happen to. if he even saw a gun he would get goofy
(it took a long time and alot of patience for him to get over it)

Take the dog out let them have fun and learn to hunt. put the dog in lots and lots of birds. this takes time several weeks to several months.
teach the dog a hunting pattern, always let them find birds around you,and let the natural instincts go to work.
the dog will let you know when it is time to kill a bird for him.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 AM

I do pretty much the same as Mite. Except I start with a .22 blank pistol. Fire when they flush, tends to simulate what will really happen when hunting, plus his/her attention is on that bird flying away. I don't have a .410, so I then graduate to a 20 gauge and then 12. Also, get the dog accustumed to being around the shotgun first. Work the action alot around him/her and lay it next to their kennel for a little bit each day.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 AM

Thanks guys. I tell you ff season , this forum is my field. To learn and to enjoy just learning from the experiences of others. I am totally aware of what can happend at a shooting range. I had a friend who had acquired an adult Akita. He really wanted to make a police dog out of him. Took him to the range. BIG MISTAKE. The poor dog was horrified. After that he would run away at the sight of a gun.
This food association:I dont get it. What are you trying to teach the dog?bang=food????Isnt it better to take them out with some pigeons and fire a blank .22 or something after each dizzy bird took off? then as Mite and Posted said he thinks bird=bang and that is what we are trying to establish.

Got another question:Is it a good idea to take out your puppy (which has not hunted before)out to the field and let him run around and point and chase OFF SEASON, when the birds are having chicks? I think its a good exercise but if theres no shooting and hunting involved, what can the consequences of that be? What can be done to not suffer from those side effects ? And what things must one take into consideration , doing this exercise including hurting the wildlife during their raising their chick season? After all I believe we hunters must be more concerned about the well being and conservation of our game than anybody else(a belief that unfortunately is not shared by all of our fellow hunters which makes me sometimes sympatize with the anti hunters.examples include:shoot at anything that moves, dumping your trash in the wild, etc)
Old 02-20-2006, 07:03 AM

Banging the feed pan makes the dog bolder to noise. association with bird and gun fire comes much latter after the drive has been established.
(If you want to make a gun dog). if you want to make a field trial dog getting them steady to the flush and wing and shot you train in a way that the shot does not matter. slight bang during whoa breaking and then graduating to a blank pistol during check cord exercises with pigeons orquail in a trap. you shoot while dog is on point several times so that when you flush the bird the shot does not matter. they are still standing on point.
Bird dogs are a privilege to own and the preservation of the habitat and the upland birds are of the upmost importance. As a sportsman it is your duty to preserve the heritage of the dogs and the game. I encourage you not to disturb the birds during nesting and raising time.
Throughout most of the country it is against the law to train dogs on wild upland game during this time. In most states that pro trainers go during the summer a permit is needed to train. Also no dogs can be run until August 1st; August 15 in some.
If you feel that you need to do something with the dog during these months try a recall pen with birds you buy from a grower or pigeons
Old 02-20-2006, 07:51 AM

Thanks Daleh. Got a few more questions about your tips:
-Steady to flush, I understand but what is steady to wing?
-Whats ''whoa breaking'' and '' recal pen''?
I respect your views about our sport but if all our fellow hunters respected them and abided by them,, our lands would be more beautiful and game more abundant and plentyfull But that is not the case.
I have read stuff in this site regarding the attitudes of some hunters that I found quite shameful as a hunter. For example a hunter had said that he ''hates coyotes with passion'' and this was in a forum about traping which i dont find anything close to hunting and a hunters spirit.
Anyways, I am just disturbed by some scenes i have seen and things I have heard by some other hunters.
-
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Steady to wing is the same as steady to flush
Whoa breaking is yard work exercises to get them to stand 4 feet on the ground with no movement when yougive the comand towhoa.
A recall pen is a small constructed pen (some look like a johny house) that you can put Chukar or quail in with feed and water. it has a lid on the top you can let them out and afunnel on the side that they can go back in. You don't turn all the birds loose leave some in the pen so they can recall the ones you let out to work your dog on.

Preservation of our heritage and sport is very important. There would be more game if we had more habitat, more nesting areas, more feed, and less preditors. However, we as sportsman can only do so much.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Spike

Hey Sean,
If you want to know more about recall pens try WWW.gamebird.com or Lion Country Supply at www.lcsupply.com, I think they both sell plan for building them. I have seen them, they do work well. As for introducing your dog to gun fire, I'd go with what the others above stated. A staters pistol at feeding time, at out door play time and work your way up to training loads. Kent Shot shell makes a nice 12 ga taining blank. If you reload you can make you own. What breed of pup did you get? Hey thanks for the chukur info.

John

Quick Reply: Introduction to gun shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.