Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Introduction to gun shot

Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Introduction to gun shot

Training a new pup might seem a daunting task, but you will soon see it isn't terribly difficult. The key to it all is patience, and consistency. Probably the area most people have difficulty with, and dis-agreements over is gun breaking. My philosophy has been that it's better to take too long aclimating the dog to gun fire, than to rush it and ruin the dog. Some dogs, once ruined never come back around resulting in either getting a new dog and starting over, or being stuck with a dog you can't hunt.

I always start with making a loud noise from a distanceat feeding time. The pups are ussually too interested in their meal to notice the sound. I gradually move closer to the pups.

Later I will use a blank pistol while the pup is running outdoors somewhere. This too is statred at a distance which isgradually shortened until the dog doesn't react even when leashed. Remember, at no time must you react as if some thing has happened. The dog will follow your lead, so if you act like the shot was some thing special so will the pup.

Next I graduate the pup to the skeet field. This might not be the best step for everyone, but the clubI belong to has a very large parking lot, so from the far end the shots don't sound much louder than the blank pistol. I will have the dog leashed, and will keep him excited by teasing him with a retrieving dummy, or a tennis ball. Anything to keep him from focusing his attention on the shots. Gradually I will move closer to the skeet field on successive days. Also, after I have been able to stand on the line with him I will repeat the whole process again for good measure.

A couple of things which have helped me out; if you can join a bird dog club of some type. This should allow you access to pen raised bird. I can't say enough how benificial this is to the developement of a young dog. Also, don't discount the benifits of the basic obedience training. Everyone wants to run their dogs in the field, and see the progress it makes, but handling of a dog, and the training it takes to get it down is what bonds you and the dog. This will, in the end make the field work easier. The only exception to the yard work being training the dog to heel. Wait on this command until the dog is running confidently, and hunting out in front.

There are several good books available, as well as magazines. I read both "point" and "Hup" by James Spencer, and found both of them to be quite valuable, and easy to understand.

Good luck