Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

"HeartLand" Hunting

Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 PM

Default "HeartLand" Hunting

I just got back from 3mos in the Heartland on a work assignment. While there, I flew home and brought my bird dog back out with me to spend the upland season, and what a time we had.
I was based out of MNPLS. MN, and quickly learned what a great state it is. I found game everywhere I ventured. I saw pheasant in every direction I went, north, south or west. And west in particular was amazing.
Their season opened Oct. 15, which I worked, but, the 16th, I whacked my first ever "Heartland" limit of pheasant, and my dog got more scent stuck up her nose in a day than she had in her 8.5yrs of life!
On my way home, I stopped off in SD for a few hours of the absolute most devastating experience looking for pheasant of my life.
I literally saw at least a thousand birds! call it BS, but, I was there, and have photos that cannot depict what I experienced, unfortunately. Wish I were a pro photographer!
For those of you that are lucky enough to live in these states, my hats off to you, for those of you that have the wherewithall to get to hunt these states season after season, I'm green with envy, but, I can now say, been there, did SOME of that, and its AWESOME!

Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 AM

Default RE: "HeartLand" Hunting

Congrats on your experience. I live in Wisconsin and have started traveling West to Iowa for the same experience. Good luck and come back again and enjoy what we already know is more than just "fly over country".