Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Michigan Pheasants?

Old 12-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Michigan Pheasants?

My father hasn't shot a pheasant in over 15 years because of the declining population in Michigan. While rabbit hunting the other day, I decided to try my luck and jump a pheasant in some tall grass. Things just worked out perfect and a nice roost flushed and I made a perfect shot. It was awesome and went great. Now I am so pumped and don't have anywhere to hunt pheasants. Is there any public land in Michigan that is worth trying? Thanks...
Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan Pheasants?

Most public land in Mich. is not managed for upland hunting, very poor cover and food available. Actually some of the better hunting is toward your way east and south in some of the farm lands. Off from 96, the area around Fowlerville used to produce some great birds. Then if you want to drive across state you could hit theThumb area, but any available areas there get hit pretty hard (I bowhunt that area and see quite a few bird hunters), be aware of seasons- they do have a late season in some areas check dnr site for info. I used to do a lot of upland hunting and even raised shorthair pointers (raised 1989 S.E. Mich Champ) but due to poor population and the drop in dnr interest in promoting upland hunting I don't bird hunt much any more. I do some preserve hunting at Mitchells gun club in Grand Blanc. If you hunt Public land you really need a dog to do a good job. There are some decent hunt clubs throughout your area though and they can provide dogs. Be careful hunting over dogs, it can be addictive. If you are real interested get info from your local Pheasants Forever chapter.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Though I've been in CO now for 7 years. I'm from the Jackson area and we had PLENTY of pheasants there before I left. I jumped them EVERY day on the way to my deer stand. I have to drive 2-3 hours to find them here. VERY hard on the dog since I get get out as much as I would like too.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Check in the Coopersville, Nunica, and Ravenna areas. Most of it is private but there are quite a few birds running around.

There are a few pheasant farms close by. There is one in Fennville and another in Ganges called Top Gun (616)543-3351.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I live really close os Coopersville actually and have hunted some deer property but maybe I should look for some pheasant area...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:14 PM

My dad lives in Milan. He hunts the farmfields out there. He has never come home without at least 2 birds in hand.