Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 hawk screamers for pheasants >

hawk screamers for pheasants

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

hawk screamers for pheasants

Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM

Default hawk screamers for pheasants

i do alot of upland bird hunting and was wondering if anyone has used hawk squallers to keep the birds from running.
im in pa the poconos and alot of birds run instead of flying and it screws up my dog somtimes
shes1yr3mth old and steady to wing and shot but gets real edgy when a bird runs im scaredshe will get fed up and start chasingthem
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 PM

Default RE: hawk screamers for pheasants

I'm originally from illinois, I all breeds, seems like lot of pointer, setter, short hair , brits, retrivers. I have used the squallers, open minded, um what if you got blockers? Ya know for end of field? If dog gets frustrated, let it bump, and make the correction, what I mean in this is when I start a dog for steadying, I use pinch collar and e-collar. I go to the field, and teach tostop and stand, with both the e-collar will be used for the stop and stand?? You follow?? Never used when bird on ground only during the chase!! Low stim, cont. nick, if dog is running through just increase time on nick. So through my "yard work" program and steadying it all overlays,to just stop and stand. I let the dog make desicion, wanna chase.... correction. I have always done this it works very well. So on the style that has been taught or you taught you need to make the correction for the chase. You might have to back step lil bit , to remind the dog, just keep blk/wht. You follow? The dog and birds will come together in exsperience. I would say thatit will learn to run way in front and circle back, this is common on alot of grouse dogs, so if it tries to do this give it a chance, It might be teaching you and him, its hard to over come the greed of the hunt, but in time the greed willbe losing the dog over hillside, getting to top and seeing standing there like a statue. Gotta love that look of " got it dad" on the face!! Nothing better!!. You follow what i'm saying? Jonesy
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 PM

Default RE: hawk screamers for pheasants

thanks i will try that i havnt actully encountered the problem yet just thinking of preventive mesures i have a brit she was prof. trained and has cut off running birds to repoint just thought the hawk screamer might be worth a try