Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dog Training Collar

Old 10-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dog Training Collar

There are so many out there. I think I've gotten it down to two.

Tri-Tronics and Dog-Tra. Are these any good? Is there another brand I should look at? What make/models do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Default RE: Dog Training Collar

not sure about those two brands? I have a Sportdog and love it.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 AM

I have a Tritronic and a Sportdog. The TT is built to last and has a price to prove it. The range is excellent and the new G2 models are smaller, waterproofand easier to handle than my G1 version. I've heard that the "clicks" on the G2 aren't as distinct, but that is sometimes subjective.

The Sportdog is smaller, easier to understand, more versatile, nearly the same range and 1/2 the price of the TT. They seem to have the quality issues dealt with and customer service is second to none in the dog collar world.

Personally, I wasn't that inthralled with the Dogtra, but we are all looking for something different. I know one guy that uses one and is quite happy.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:01 PM

i have had Innoteks which i did not like. i sent them back. now i use D.T.s 200 models and Sportdog's 2400 Pro Hunter model. i have had some trouble withthe DT unit but the company always made the repairs pretty fast. ussually within 10 days. the Sportdog Pro 2400 has by far been the best training collar i have ever used. it is over a year old i have never had any trouble at all. we don't just use ours on weekends or a few months a year we use them just about ever day. if we are not training we are using them just to walk the dogs. the dog-tra you are talking about is a spin-off of the d.t. collars from whenthe company split up a few years back. the d.t. 200 has a range about a 900 yards which it will do in open country but in a wooded area this drops down to400 yards. i have never maxed out the sportsdog 2400yet. they say it has a range of 1-1/2 miles. which maybe possible in the open fields.i have seen it work in a semi wooded area out to 700 yards with no trouble.also tried the sportsdog 1200 but was not to happy with it. it range was pretty limited about 400 yards in the semi wooded areas and good for about 500 yards in open country. all that i have tested were done with a cell phones between my wife and myself so i know the distances were pretty true. one more thing. never buy a training collar that does not have a warning mode on it. such as a beeper or vibrator. you always give a warning before you go to the shock mode. it will not belong before the only mode you will need is the warning to turn the dog. the vibrator mode works good on older hard of hearing dogs and the beeper seems to work on the rest. never set the shock up any higher than you can take on your own fingers. it does take much to get his attention. if your dog cries when you shock it is to high. he should just jump or snap his head alittle. you can really mess up a good dog with to much shock. sorry to go on so long but i have seen guys that think the training collar is the magic tool for training. it takes more time than anything else to train a dog. every dog is differant just give time.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Spike

I have a Dogtra 200NCP Gold, and it serves my purpose well. My Boykin is a timid dog, so I am very carefull. 9 times out of ten all it take is a little vibration to get her attention. I have been using it for about 3 years with no problems..........
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

I looked at the Sportdog, my question, is the transmitter "water proof" like the collar, or is it only water resistant?

Still searching.....
Old 10-04-2005, 05:43 AM

The collar and the receiver are both waterproof on the Sportdog. I have the 1800. The transmitter size is small, but not too small and the range is 3/4 of a mile. It can be set up for multiple dogs and tone prior to stimulation.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

One additional thing:

I have a Golden, heavy hair, do any of thesehave longer electrodes?

Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM

most all the brands have probes long enough. they only have to be about a 1/2 inch long for long hair and about a 1/4 inch long for short hair. we use the long ones for the lab and we grind the probes down to about a 1/4 inch for our beagles so that sticks cannot get up under the collar. just brush the hair forward a bit to get the probes down to the skin. also the collar has to be tight on the dog or it will not work.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:52 AM

I went to their website and couldn't find anything on longer probes. I even checked my collar at home and it didn't have any. I own a Brit, so it never occurred to me. You may be able to contact them directly (or a dealer) and get a better answer.

Quick Reply: Dog Training Collar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.