Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds >

Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stuck my second! (pic) -- also: plz help identify breeds

Congrats....still looking for my first turkey.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Default RE: Stuck my second! (pic)

ORIGINAL: c j

Still hoping to get some opinions on the two birds - Deer Trackers input was helpful, but I'm still not sure which bird (or both?) he's referring to when he said it was a Rio.

Please let me know what you guys think. The bird at the top of the thread looks more like a Merriam's to me, but yet not 100%, whereas the bird in the 2nd pic lower down looks like a Rio. But again, I'm the last thing from an expert, so that's why I'd like your input.
My 2 cents, based only on the pictures:

The first picture looks more like a rio/merriams cross. Merriams don't necessarily have white fan tips, as they are often buff colored (especially in the Rockies), but the white or buff colored tips are longer on a merriams, and the feathers are longer in general. But I'd say he has plenty of merriams in him.

Here's a picture of a Rocky Mtn. merriams with buff colored fan tips:

Note the long white/buff colored parts on the fan.

Here's a rio with nearly the same colored fan, but note the shorter white/buff colored parts:

Your second picture looks like it is a eastern/rio mix with those dark secondary fan feathers. Possibly an eastern/merriams mix. That's an interesting and nice looking bird.

Hal
Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Yes cj i'm saying they are both rios. Merriams as you have pointed out have all white tips even the secondary feathers near the tail. The second looks like it might be a hybrid but i am not for sure.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Hi,

Top bird picture shows coloration of a Merriam's, although perhaps a little more buff than the pure white feathers.

Second picture appears to be a hybrid of an Eastern/Merriam's. Is there supposed to be any rios in that area of the state? I shot one like that near White River a couple of years ago. I send the pics to the state game department and they said that there were no rios in that area and the bird was most likely a hybrid

Here is a pic... the bottom right bird is the hybrid and bottom left a true merriams. Birds on top are NY easterns

Old 05-04-2005, 01:37 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Hawglips, Deer Tracker, bhw - Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

ORIGINAL: bhw

Hi,

Top bird picture shows coloration of a Merriam's, although perhaps a little more buff than the pure white feathers.

Second picture appears to be a hybrid of an Eastern/Merriam's. Is there supposed to be any rios in that area of the state? I shot one like that near White River a couple of years ago. I send the pics to the state game department and they said that there were no rios in that area and the bird was most likely a hybrid

funny thing is; The bird in the pic at the top of the thread was actually taken in that very area. The bird in the 2nd pic was taken in NE South Dakota near Watertown. From the map on NWTF website, it looks like all three breeds are known to be found around that area. I also know that there are some domestics within a few miles of there, too, so maybe there's some of that mixed in there somewhere.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. (Great pics, too, by the way. Nice birds)
Old 05-04-2005, 03:51 PM

congratz!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 PM

IMO, I would say cross between merriam and eastern. The tail feathers are lighter than eastern, but not blonde, and the secondary feathers are not light at all. Unless I am mistaken, which, is most definetly possible....I don't think Rio's are that far north.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

SD has imported some rios in the past