Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wet weather calls

Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Wet weather calls

This is going to be my first year calling on my own. My buddy, will be out of town on opening day. Right now, weather channel is predicting rain for the next ten days and of course the 27th is opening day for us. Can you guys recommend some calls that will still perform in damp/rain type of weather? I do have a glass and a slate call as well as trying to still master the mouth call. Any advice on the calls would be great. Not asking which is best, but which you have had luck with in this type of weather.

thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wet weather calls

Most slate calls and wood (box) calls won't work well when wet. Glass friction calls will work as long as you are not using a wooden stiker. Mouth calls work under all conditions. If you are not comfortable with the mouth call then go with your glass friction call. If it is raining hard having a call with some volume will work. I have had good success with mouth calls in wet weather. Also, remember that if it has been wet the birds like to move to open areas (fields, clearings, power cuts,...). They don't like the woods as much when wet.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have an acrilic or carbon striker your calls should be ok when wet. Any type of wood call will not work wet.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Buckeye Mike

Mouth calls work under all conditions.
Exactly! And everyone who turkey hunts should learn how to use them if for no other reason than to have a reliable call for rainy days!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually use my mouth calls under any condition. the only thing that i haven't mastered with them is the purr. i just can't quite figure that out. the slate definately won't work when wet. i tried it one time when i first started hunting and it was a waste of time.