Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What a weekend!!

Old 04-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a weekend!!

Well the reason I wasn't on the forums this weekend was because I was out hunting...FINALLY!! It really was a great weekend. I had a shotgun tag and my dad had a bow tag. I also have a tag for 4th season which is in 2 weeks. Anyway friday was the opening of 2nd season and it was great!! Had somewhere between 7 and 10 toms gobblin within 350 yards or so on the roost. They hit the ground and I was callin to them from the blind. We noticed one seemed to be getting closer with each gobble and before long we could see him. He came for us and only got to 33 yards and stopped. I let him have it and by 6:50am my tag was filled. Then we began hunting for my dad. The next morning we sat up just 45 yards north of the missouri border and I began calling. The bird hung up and I was gobblin at him as well as making hen noises. Finally I got out of the blind and walked back 50 yards and started calling. In about 10 minutes my dad hit him at 22 yards with an arrow. Here's where we dont know what to do. Last year he hit one in the body and it couldn't run but it flew. We looked and looked and finally found him. We figured if they get out of sight it would be real hard to find one. This one he hit good though. It could not fly and couldn't run near as fast as the other turkeys with him but he ran. My dad chased him and at the fence got within 3 feet of it and was about to grab it when It got through a hole. My dad made it over the fence but stopped cuz he was tired. We found one spot of blood but never found him, and we combed the area really really good!! He was pretty discouraged but we will be going back there in 2 weeks and he may buy some different broadheads. I will post a question about broadheads too. It was an awesome weekend but a bummer that he didn't get his. Any ideas...Oh yeah my bird weighed 22lbs, had 7/8in spurs, and a 9.5in beard. Not my biggest ever but a pretty good one!!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 PM

Default RE: What a weekend!!

nice i bet u had fun ! one more week for me !!