Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Range?

Old 04-16-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Turkey Range?

How Far do Turkeys Range?
I went out last weekend and found 20-30 in my spot (~100acres) and this weekend there wasn't any. How far could they go? They are all around a large lake (~640acres) with only one large tree range with mixed shelter belts (2 of which I'm hunting) Thanks for any inputs and tips to hunt them (1st year turkey)
Old 04-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Range?

around here (ny) i'd say they contain themselves to 1 sq mile, unless they run out of food. then all bets are off. they seem to range further in the fall than in the spring.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

ghillie, i am assuming you are hunting merriams i hunt them in mt. and wy. and have heard of them going 20-25 miles from where they wintered i think once they find good habitat and are not pressured they stay within a 1 mile area and even less they seem to work in large circles using ridge tops to move while feeding however once pressured they may leave that area completely i have put on many miles hunting merriams and love every minute
Old 04-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Ah yes that's good news. I know there is no shortage of food and I am the only one hunting this area. I think I found um today on the other side of the lake.