Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbling in Maryland

Old 04-09-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Gobbling in Maryland

While scouting this morning, heard 3 gobbling on the roost. One of these hit the ground and headed on a straight line to what seemed like another county, gobbling all the way. He never paused. Just kept moving in the same direction like he was late for the wedding!! In about 5 minutes, he had moved about 1/2 mile!! Anybody have any idea what he was doing? Apparently, he didn't have any hens with him, and he may have been moving to an area that he thought he could find some? I finally could just barely hear him until he disappeared still heading in the same direction. Do gobblers usually roost so far away from the hens? Would it be a good option to set up along the route he took this morning, hoping he repeats this journey when the season starts?

A strange thing was, after I could no longer hear the gobbler, a hen started yelping over from me on the ridge, and I heard a few others clucking??

Good luck to all the hunters heading into the Md. woods next week!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gobbling in Maryland

Box,

I went out this morning as well in MD, and heard quite a few gobbles. Things are really shaping up.

To answer your question about as to why that bird left gobbling like that, I think only the bird can answer that one!! Sometimes they just do some crazy things for no apparent reason or logic.

To answer your question about setup on the opener, I think I would try to get out again next weekend and see if he's roosted in the same area and does the same thing before making a decsion.

The hens I saw/heard this morning didn't seem receptive, and it doesn't sound like your hens were, either. Could explain why he was in a hurry to try another spot. It's hard to say.

Good luck on the opener!! 8 days....

Slice