Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Payback is a  ..............! >

Payback is a ..............!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Payback is a ..............!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Payback is a ..............!

This is another turkey hunting story. As some of you may already know, I've already got two of my three birds. Well, this morning I set up and was to far away when he started gobbling, I might add, gobbling was coming from every direction, most I've heard since opening day. Anyway, I grab my junk and head towards him, trying to get a little closer. When I got within about 150 yds., another bird gobbled between me and the one that started first, it was already good daylight, so I set up where I was, in an old logging road. I looked down the road and up in the trees, and there sat the bird that was between me and the other. Obviously, he saw me set up, but didn't fly off.

The bird I was after kept rattling the trees, the one on the road never uttered another sound, I could plainly see him and he could see me. He was about 50 yds. from me. I then saw the bird I was after fly down into a field and another bird with him, but couldn't tell what the other bird was. I started a few tree calls and the older bird gobbled as he moved away from me. Then the bird in the road flew and landed about 30 yds in front of me, looked to have about a six inch beard, young bird. The other bird was gobbling so I quit paying attention to the young bird as he fed off into another direction.

The older bird kept geting farther away, so I decided to make a long circle around him. He quit gobbling, and I was making my move to close the gap. Well I closed the gap alright, met him head on, coming my way, and I thought he was going in a different direction, assuming the bird I met was the one I was after. Needless to say, he flew up and across the property line, I called and called to no avail. Heard another about 500 yds south of me, took off after him and he quit. Then the one I bumped head on started gobbling again, grabed my junk and took off after him again. Got set up and never heard another word out of any of them.

At 11:00 a.m., I decided to go get some lunch and to get a blind to set up for me and my granddaughter this coming weekend. I ate lunch, went by the house to get my atv and Ameristep (?) blind and chairs. Set every thing up for this weekend, all that's left is to put the decoys out this weekend. It was 12:45 p.m. when I left, atv and trailer making all kinds of racket, then there in all his splendor, was one of the largest gobblers I have ever seen, with two hens. Mind you, it's 12:45, the hens should have left him, but no, they stood in the road and looked at me as though they was daring me to get out of the truck with a gun.

I just sat there and watched him strut a couple of times, then he followed the hens under the fence and unto the other property. I got out and walked up to the fence and could see the hens in a clear cut, but no gobbler and the clear cut was over 400 yds wide, where did he go.

If I had been drinking, which I never do when hunting, driving, etc., I could have explained where he went. Now I'm starting to think I'm going crazy. I get back in the truck thinking he must have flown across the clear cut, when I look in my rearview mirror and he's crossing the road behind me, within about 100 yds, and back onto our property.

I got my thermos and poured a stiff drink, of coffee. I had to laugh at myself, maybe this was payback for the two I already got, maybe not, but I'll be there tomorrow morning.

And I thought I was so good, only to be humbled one more time, what a day.

dog1
Old 04-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Payback is a ..............!

Great story, Turkeys have away of putting you in your place, just as you begin to get some confidence, bam, they do something that throws everything you know about them out of wack
Old 04-05-2005, 02:31 PM

Yep,

Sounds like Turkey Hunting alright! Days like that are what keep me going back for more. Good Luck with "Sly" in the morning
Old 04-05-2005, 04:08 PM

Dog1,

Thanks for sharing that story with us. I've "been there, done that" many times, myself. I'm glad you reminded me that when we think we know it all, we get a lesson or two from our prey. Every long-time hunter has a story or two to tell of some similar lesson learned/taught.

My season starts next Monday, and I'm all a-twitter, just thinking about it. Turkey fever!! I've got it baaaadd!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

hehe

Good story...been in the same situation a few times myself!

All I can offer....if he answers you...then you gotta beleive he will come in as he knows where you are!

long story short....some times it pays to just stay put!...hehe

JW