Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Any help in cutting slate? >

Any help in cutting slate?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any help in cutting slate?

Old 04-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Any help in cutting slate?

I want to make my own slate call and have procurred a large piece of slate chalkboard.

How do I cut the stuff?????

I have use a bandsaw, sawsall, miter saw and 4" grinder. Nothing seems to want to cut it cleanly.

Help!!!

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Any help in cutting slate?

not exactly sure sorry
Old 04-01-2005, 02:38 PM

LL, I think you could use a wet saw. This type of saw can be used to cut tile, stone and brick. Check with a tool rental store, they may be able to help you. Good Luck.........
Old 04-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think i read that tin snips work about the best...not real sure.....i know how it breaks, chips, flakes ect.....i had that problem but mine was with glass...but my shop teacher can cut glass like noone ive ever seen....i broke the piece i ordered after i casted it out of alumanum...so i had a nice alumanum copy...but wanted to make a glass too....so he cut a piece for me....surprised the band saw doesnt work....bet with the right blade and speed it might...hmmm...ill keep thinking...i know i read tinsnips somewhere..but i dont see it working much better....maybe get a rough shape with whatever you can get the best results with then sand/grind it to size...good luck
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

The stuff starts out at 1/2" thick. I sand it down to about 3/16" or 1/8".

It wants to flake off rather than come off smoothly.

I will be looking for a type of disk for my hand grinder and also will look for a special blade for my scroll saw.

I am lucky in that I am a Shop teacher with lots of tools.

If all else fails, I may try a hole saw or possibly an expansion bit. I was wanting a piece that is oval in shape to fit the hand better. I've never seen anything like it. I want to laminate some maple and walnut for the hoop around it.

By the way, how do you use glass in one of these? Will a strike work on bare glass or must it be etched? Is it glass or plexiglass?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

They make a concrete blade, sometimes called a masons blade. It is a composite blade you can use on a skill saw. It is the only thing I know of that should work.
Gselkhunter
Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got ahold of some 1/8" stuff one time and made a few calls from it. It seems to me I just used an old hacksaw. It cut quite nicely, on problems.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i made my own pots on a wood lathe...i kinda have a wierd hidden talent for wood work and understanding stuff....so the inside i visuallized....and just made it on a wood lathe....turned out kinda big....but not bad for a first attempt.....he cut the glass out of an old window pane i think....he used the little glass cutting tool....not sure what its called....we traced my circle alumanum with a sharp sharpie...and the tool like cuts a line in the glass....then you snap the pieces off....you cant cut a circle out out the middle of a piece of glass like they do in cartoons...its imposible.....so he made like reliefe cuts and cut off smaller pieces and snapped them off as he went...it worked good....hes been cutting glass for years and years though....i can do lines easy...run the little circle cutter edge and snap it off...i dont have my glass call in order....i was trying to tune it and took it apart...and when i was regluing i busted it AGAIN....but i have a slate i made....ill take a pic and post the link here in a minute....