Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The Freak By Primos

Old 03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The Freak By Primos

Hi,
In a few days I will be recieving The Freak that I won on Ebay. Can someone please give me some tuning and calling advice. My first year hunting. I got some answers back last week on a box call.
Thanks for yur responses,
Chuck7
Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Freak By Primos

It will come with directions to make the basic calls, its pretty easy.

Make sure you use the included sandpaper to rough up the call and the striker a bit, when you can hear the striker sliding, rough the call up more.

Its a very easy call to use for everything including a purr.

Just make small movements and play around with pressure and the angle of the striker on the call.

--Bob
Old 04-01-2005, 06:08 AM

i have a "crystal" freak, not the frictionite version. The surface is extermely hard and takes awhile to sand to get good sound. The thing I do not like about it is the gravedigger striker they give you with it. It is very dull sounding. I used a different striker from a Lohman call I have and it sounds great and very loud!!!

Rough up the surface real good and then practice. I found friction calls to be easy to learn all calls with.

Yelps- do small circles and drag at right time to get yelp sound--practice until it sounds right
purrs- lightly drag striker across sand lines
cutts, putts, clucks- like striking a match. pressure is only difference for each

My buddy says he even heard a pro gobble with his at a turkey show in Columbus, OH recently.

always keep striker on surface!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks to both of you folks,
Do you believe it arrived today. Best Ebayer yet. I won the auction on Tuesday and requested ASAP. He took me serious. Your right about alot of sanding. Will I have to sand it again in the swamp? I'm really not that impressed with it yet. It keeps needing resanding. Is this normal? I'm going 2 miles into the swamp tomorrow with this call LOL . I hope I won't need to sand it every other call.
Thanks folks,
Chuck
Old 04-01-2005, 08:21 PM

did you get the crystal of frictionite one??
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Dominant Buck

The Crystal one sir.
Chuck
Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 AM

i found it best to sand in one direction very hard. Then just drag striker across sand lines at about a 30 degree angle. Once i sand mine real good, I dont have to do it for awhile. Like I said though, the striker seemed to be the problem with mine, not the crystal.

The striker just doesnt grab surface well, like the wood is too soft! gave a dull/muffled sound!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

This again is my first year .I have a couple questions .. I found alot of trackso I tried out the Freak. Yelping did nothing purring did nothing. I then tried the cutter...real hard loud strikes down the crystal in a straight line. A Tom drummed back in the distance. In about 5minutes he scared me by drumming VERY LOUD within 20 yds. The tree I was under was so thick I tried to find him. When I moved he flew away. I will set up differently the next time to be able to see tree tops as well as the ground.
1. Why do they drum?
2. How long would you wait until you go back?
It's a 2 1/2 mile walk in the swamp.
Thanks,
Chuck