Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Killing Range of #6

Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Killing Range of #6

What do you think the effective kiiling range of #6 pellets is? How about #5?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Killing Range of #6

For both tops is 40 yards.......but you need to pattern with a good target that has the skeletal diagram. Count the pellets holes at 20, 30, 40......I go by 8 to 12 pellet holes that clearly hit the spine, the brain, the eye and nothing else.

Personally - not picking on anybody........but shots taken beyond that range is not what this sport is about.......call them up close and personal....ya will never woound one...for the number of birds I have taken....I can honestly say my aveage is 21 paces from where I sat.

JW
Old 03-27-2005, 10:19 PM

my son killed his first turkey on the 18th, he was shooting 2 3/4 high power #6,the turkey was about 30 yards,at 40 yards or less with good shot placement i don't think it really matters. if the turkey is more than 40 yard, don't shoot. good luck
Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lead #6's 35 yards. Lead #5's about 40-45

I personnally think you are pushing your luck with lead #6's at 40 yards. If lead #6's is the only shot size you can get to pattern then I guess you gota do what you gata do...

Try some type of Hevi Shot #6's for your 40 yard shots
Old 03-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Mr. Longbeard. If you want to use #6 shot, go with Hevishot!! Then you will have more than enough energy and a great pattern at farther distances without worrying about crippling your bird in the process.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Eww.. I hate to, but I have to agree with LB. Sure there's cases of further success, but his distances would be the right ones when it comes to retained energy for clean harvests.

Another vote for the Hevi-shot #6 here too... way more energy retained for show stopping those 40 yarders.

Hey LB... :P You beat me to the post... so there.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

For both tops is 40 yards.......but you need to pattern with a good target that has the skeletal diagram. Count the pellets holes at 20, 30, 40......I go by 8 to 12 pellet holes that clearly hit the spine, the brain, the eye and nothing else.

Personally - not picking on anybody........but shots taken beyond that range is not what this sport is about.......call them up close and personal....ya will never woound one...for the number of birds I have taken....I can honestly say my aveage is 21 paces from where I sat.

JW
THAT'S THE WAY TO CALL IT, YOU SAID RIGHT....RH
Old 03-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm not a total piece of s!@# huh
Old 03-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Never thought you were... nor implied. I think * I supported a link you answered a while back during a controversy, so you can't be all that bad. [8D]
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

While I agree with you on getting them up close & personal, you can misjudge yardage. Especially in open areas. Last year I shot a turkey at what I thought was 40 yds, when I stepped it off it was 50 yds. I was using Wincheste HV#6. It picked the bird off his feet and sat him down. He twitched one time. But the main key in avoiding wounded turkeys is knowing what your gun & shell combo will do at what yardages. I shoot in NWTF Still
Target Competitions. I know what my gun will do. I had druther take one at 25-35 yds but sometimes that may not be possible. I have passed close shots because I wasn't comfortable with the shot.

Quick Reply: Killing Range of #6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.