Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
home defense gun >

home defense gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

home defense gun

Old 03-01-2002, 06:26 PM

Default home defense gun

what loads do you all use for your home defense shotgun? im thinknig about putting a light on mine to none of the special grips or nothin tho also have yo uever acutally ahd to use your gun?
Old 03-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: home defense gun

I'll tell you what I keep for my home defense. A single shot (wish it was a pump) .410 shotgun with 00 buck or a slug, with a pistol grip and a home made laser sight. Hopefully that will buy me enough time to get across the room to my SKS, with 30 rnd mag, bayonet, and folding synthetic stock. Don't worry, though, these guns are very unaccessible or unfireable if you're not me, or know a whole lot about my guns. REMEMBER, IF YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT AN INTRUDER, MAKE SURE HE IS IN YOUR HOUSE, OTHERWISE IT'S CONSIDERED MURDER!!!!!
Old 03-01-2002, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said, Nomercy...

You might add that if an intruder is in your house, you can't even fire the weapon if the intruder's back is turned. The law looks at that as if the intruder was leaving. Therefore, it can also viewed as murder.

My home defense:
Two barking black labs. Now, if an intruder gets past my dogs, he'll be confronted with:

a) Taurus .38 special snubnose with Federal Hydra-shock hollowpoints.
b) Remington 870 Express 12GA with 00 buckshot.
c) Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle with CCI Stingers.

(a) is the primary choice, as (b) and (c) are not that accessable as they are locked in their cases and ammo is stored in a separate location. The Taurus is also kept unloaded (obviously), but has a speedloader close by.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:24 PM
XTP

My equipment almost duplicates Butch's,and there are many legalities to consider in home defence.That said,for your shotgun consider using a heavy game load of #2 or #4 shot.This is even more important if you have a family in seperate rooms.Slugs or buckshot are great outdoors,but inside a house will penetrate walls easily.A load of shot at close range is just as lethal,but with far less danger to people in adjacent rooms.Just remember,your VCR or stereo does not warrent the use of deadly force and in most states/provinces you WILL be charged unless the intruder is armed and attacking you or a family member.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:44 AM

12ga loaded with rubber 00 buck nocks the he** out of a person up close but there is no intent of killing (for LEGAL resons) and if that dosnt get them to rethink there plan .45ACP with 240gr hydr shock is the back up. did I mention the 6 pitbulls in the yard. (and Im not kidding)
Old 03-02-2002, 06:07 AM

If it was a single level home, I would agree with #4 shot because of penetration issues with family members. However, if it was 2 story with all the bedrooms upstairs, I would probably use 00 buckshot because most breakins will be at night, downstairs, while everyone is in bed upstairs.

For what it's worth, I'd shoot the intruder back turned or not, obviously armed or not. I wouldn't yell freeze and wouldn't stop shooting until the gun was empty or until I knew he was dead. I wouldn't take chances with the lives of my family.

As long as the intruder was in my house, I'd probably be OK legally with the above scenario. I've never heard of anyone ever being successfully prosecuted for shooting an unarmed home invader. If it has happened, then show me proof. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've asked local authorities (school puts on a thing once a month where a cop comes to our school, then we ask stuff, then if he doesn't know, he finds out for us and comes back and explains.) According to him, in Kansas at least, you can shoot any person that has entered your home without concent, but the way the law is written, you'd better kill them, otherwise they might be able to press charges. I know that it doesn't make a difference to me if someone is there to steal my toilet paper or kill my family or I, they ain't leaving my house alive.

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

12 ga with #1 buck. Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-02-2002, 09:24 AM
BT
Typical Buck

two bulldogs andthen Scater gun tenolingy 12ga 3in mag riot shot gun. Win. 3in 000 buck
Old 03-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Spike

Federal makes a special home defense shotgun load. It's a reduced load to lower recoil and lessen the risk of penetrating through walls. You might check them out.

Quick Reply: home defense gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.