Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

girls...

Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default girls...

i have a girlfriend for 6 months now.....shes never really been outside.....and was kinda shocked that theres people like me.....who live to hunt and fish....have many guns around their room.....ammo in their trucks.....animal displays and many pics in my room.....but she was always interested and makes me tell her stories and explain it to her and such....and i thought it was good she was interested.....and shes understanding when i hunt from sun up to sun down and she only hears from me for 5 mins if shes lucky....she understands if i take a trip for a few days and cant call at all.....but spring turkeys coming soon and she said since i goto the mall with her(no big deal to me) she would go turkey hunting with me if i want her too....i seriously dont think she can hack it....i mean i can find a spot that is relativly easy walking...and she will stay pretty dry...and i could keep her comfy.....but i really dont think someone that never been in the woods will beable to make it.....reallllllly dont want to waste a day of hunting because i got a whiner with me.....but id like to give her a chance because she seems interested...and may like it.....and it could be kinda neat to have someone to take hunting in the future....what should i do?? i was thinking of taking her on a walk in the woods one day...kinda scout.....show her some stuff.....see how she acts....she if shes REALLY interested...or just thinks its neat but dont want nothing to do with it.....and go from there.....if she could make it and last and beable to do what i tell her...like **** still and shut up.....then it would be great....heck....i think i could have a camera man!! lol....what do you guys think? any opinions, expiriences, ect that may be helpful?? shes a pretty girly girl....but really seems interested....loves my stories, pics, and animal parts...but never been in the woods or anything....
Old 03-17-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: girls...

Well, i'd just take her out scouting one day with you to get her acclimated so to speak. I mean, it could go great or it could be awful. Who knows? maybe she'll love the woods and be more interested in it. However, I must say there is no more annoying word than "ewwww" repeated multiple times in a ten minute time frame...just a heads up

slayer
Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

I kept my now wife chained up for many years and wouldn't let her outside either Tried duck tape at first but the first few I keep just chewed right through the tape. Anyways, I finally let her out and she's OK with it. Becareful! she might show you how it's done I know when it come to 3D and handguns that my wife would open a can of you know what on a lot of guys!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take her hunting, not scouting. Worst case is you cut it short or she blows a setup on you, no big deal on the gamble she loves it and you grow a future hunting partner.

If you get a gobbler to work in calling and strutting in, just make sure she knows she can't move or make ANY sound once the action starts, if she blows the setup make sure you act like its no big deal.

She may hate it, but get her involved in your hobbies, worst that happens is she doesn't want to go again, best is you get a new hunting partner.

--Bob
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

she would go turkey hunting with me if i want her too....i seriously dont think she can hack it....i mean i can find a spot that is relativly easy walking...and she will stay pretty dry...and i could keep her comfy.....but i really dont think someone that never been in the woods will beable to make it.....reallllllly dont want to waste a day of hunting because i got a whiner with me.....but id like to give her a chance because she seems interested...and may like it.....and it could be kinda neat to have someone to take hunting in the future....what should i do??
Take her out there.

Get a cheap turkey vest and some camo that fits her and take her out in the woods before
Season opens to a spot you won't be hunting.

A spot that theres some game at and have her sit down like you would be
When turkey hunting and have her do what it takes to hunt turkeys.

And call one in When she hears a gobble 10 foot away
she will be hooked or know its not for her.

If she doesn't like it you won't ruen your hunting when season opens.

And if she likes it you have a camera/Deer cleaning/gobbler chaseing partner.

If she is with you you won't have to worry about some dime store cowboy
Rideing into the sun set with the Love of your life.

At least give her a chance She just might do Great.

Tell her jrbsr said Good Luck and I hope she loves it.

Good Luck
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
JW
Super Moderator

If we as hunters .....don't expose and help other people.....our sport will die and slowly is!

Take her....make it fun.....make it fun......can't say that enough....

JW
Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just take her out. Scouting probably would be not as exciting for her, I'd at least take her along on one hunt also. Your hunting shouldn't be so serious that the possibility of having exposing a new person to the outdoors and the hunting lifestlye, loses out to maybe messing up a single hunt.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Take her hunting. My Girlfriend now my wife wanted to go. I took her turkey hunting the first time she had ever really been in the woods. I had her film the hunt. Three birds came in that morning two together then the boss from the opposite direction. After he gobbled the other two appeared very nervous and stayed out. The other bird came right in up to my decoys, shot him at 25 yards. She got it all on film, needless to say she now loves to go.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take her out. Just make sure to keep it light and have fun. If she starts getting cold or tired or wet, end the day and go back to the truck for hot cocoa. Just like anyone new to the sport, if she has a bad first experience it can ruin her for life on hunting. Same goes when you take a kid, it's not about getting something (although that can be a major bonus) but to just get them out there and see what it's all about. Just don't push her or try to make her do anything she doesn't want to do.

I have my main turkey hunting buddy I too out with me a few years ago. He didn't turkey hunt but agreed to go with me looking for deer & elk sheds. I brought my calls and shotgun as it was still turkey season but neither of us had a stich of camo. We drove and hiked all day and never found any sheds but in the afternoon I got my calls out and hooked a tom. Quickly we rushed into the woods to set up, no decoy either, and the tomS came running! Had one 20 yards to my left, no face net, black ski coat and blue jeans, not even gloves or good cover! The bird was looking at me when I shot him and his two buddies flew off 30 yards away. My friend has been hooked ever since and nearly pounds down my door opening morning.

Go out there expecting her to move, wiggle, and fidget and probably scare a bird away. If you can get her out before the season to at least see what it's like you just might have a best friend that is as excited about the opener as you will be.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good....theres alot of ATV trails and such around....when it gets nice i think i might take her for a walk....she likes to talk and such...so we can just walk and talk and i can get her used to the outdoors.....then when the birds heat up i can take her to a spot that i wont hunt and call one in...seems they come right in when noone has a gun....get her hooked....then possibly she will like it....im very serious when it comes to hunting...so that brings up a good point....when something goes south and its not my fault i get very upset.....dont want her to think im mad AT her.....its not her fault i took her and its not her thing.....i know to keep it fun interesting and exciting....and to keep her comfy warm and dry......i got camos that will fit her from my younger days.....and she says she got boots.....i dont plan to make her cross creeks or anything serious....i got spots that i can have a bird going from the truck....i figured turkey hunting would be best because its usually not cold.....and on a normal day you can atleast hear them on the roost and get them to respond to calls for a while....even if they dont come in....her knowing that he bird is gobbling at my calls will excite her......im filling my vest with extra clothes drinks and seats for her.....normally i take nothing that i dont need....im going to have to change my style a bit when she goes...if she goes....normally im always on the move looking for that hot bird.....up a mountain down the other side across a creek ect...i just have to keep it simple.....keep her comfy and excited.....it would be awesome if i had a text book hunt when shes with me....had them twice in the last 2 seasons...onces was more perfect then a book....had them on the roost...flew down within range....after that i was busy filling my tag out......too perfect...thanx guys...keep the replies coming im interested in reading...

Quick Reply: girls...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.