Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

dusting areas

Old 03-04-2005, 07:36 PM

Default dusting areas

I found an area where turkeys dust their feathers, but I dont know how or when to hunt it. When do the birds go here and what is the best way to get them? I dont know anything about hunting these because i have never been to one before. Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Default RE: dusting areas

Typically later on in the day.. After they calm down from all the gobblin I would head there.. Just set up and wait...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with NCHunter later inthe day i like to go too dusting areas and just sit and wait for acouple hours sometimes i will soft call on a slate every 20 mins.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

while we're talking dusting, some guy told me the other day turkeys only dust when they are laying? is this true? i thought it was something that they did year round to keep the mites and stuff off of em.......not just a laying thing..
Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 PM

I thought it was just ticks and mites..they aint dusting in winter so I'll stick with my philospy..i seen toms do it to a few times
Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Turkeys dust to remove parasites, feather mites, losue, ticks, other insect critters. It is the way they take a bath and I have seen them dust in all three seasons except Winter.

Dust bowls are a very good indication of turkey sign. I purposely look for areas tht they use. Ocassionally you will find a dust bowl that was made by a single hen. What you need to find are multiple dust bowls or major dusting areas and use only them.

We have found one area that just immense dusting area. Looks like they had a communal bath and is used by multiple birds.....each year they return to this area and is a good area to sit and wait.

JW
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i knew it didnt have anything to do with the hens layin'..................thanks for backing it up...........
Old 03-05-2005, 06:01 PM

When hunting a dust area, set 1 hen decoy low in a dust bowl, setup and let out a long string of lost yelps to get the attention of birds within hearing, then soft talk about every 15-20 minutes, as stated and watch for silent birds sneaking in. The 2yr.old birds that don't have hens with them are the targets, when hunting dust bowls during the onset of the season. Gobblers will patrol these areas looking for dusting hens. The decoy gives them what they want.
The birds will dust as long as the "critters" are biting and crawling; spring thru late fall. The young of the year will begin to dust as soon as the bugs start getting to them....
Old 03-05-2005, 06:43 PM

Ive been seeing dusting sites for three weeks and I know they are not laying yet. As the season progresses they tend to dust more because of ticks insects etc.