Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 4 Roll Call

Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 4 Roll Call

Joe A - I didn't know they had turkeys in HI. I knew they had some boars but never knew about the gobblers.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

QS,
We've had Rio's here since the mid-late 50's. So far the only spring season is on the Big Island. The best guestimate is that we have 33,000 birds. Jan & Feb of last year my NWTF chapter helped the state release 16 turkeys on Oahu. Last spring we saw 10 chicks in the 3-4# size range. If we can get a decent population on Oahu plus the one on Kauai; in a few years we might try to develop an award for a state slam (a tom from Big Island, Oahu & Kauai). That'd be cool.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 AM

Guys, if you want the pic in your signature the first thing you need to do is have a website to host it on (such as photobucket.com).
Photobucket.com will host your pics for free. Here's what you do...
1) Right click your mouse on the turkey pic
2) choose the 'Save Image As' option
3) save the image somewhere on your computer where you can find it easy and give it an easy name to remember
4) go to your account at Photobucket.com (or other photo hosting site)
5) upload the turkey pic
6) copy the new image location - it should look something like this:

7) go to your profile on Huntingnet.com
8) scroll down to 'your signature' and enter the image location exactly as you copied it
9) make sure you click the little box that says to always attach signature to posts
10) make sure you save or update your profile and it should be working

Don't copy my image location as I have it above since I added an extra space and x's so that you could see how it is supposed to look. I'll be checking in now and then so if you have trouble I'll try to help. It's easier than it may seem.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very interesting Joe

Glad to see that the NWTF's efforts are having an impact outside the continental U.S.
Do you guys have a large base of turkey hunters buying licenses to hunt the birds in Oahu?

How and why were the Rio's introduced on the island? I'm guessing somebody stocked the first birds, but my question is why was the Rio selected instead of the Gould's, Merriam's or Eastern? Better suited for the habitat?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Greetings Bandits!!!

I just checked in to this forum, been off post for a long time--many stories--broke my hand, had a hernia, computer blew up, etc. But here I am, anyway.

I'm hunting Kansas, South Dakota and Minnesota, for sure, maybe Missouri if I get lucky in Kansas this spring. Maybe Missouri anyway, lucky or not. We shall see . . .

I'll be carrying my Mossberg 935 Turkey gun, short barrel and Rhino choke. I'm getting a Bushnell Holoscope and a LazyLeg shooting stick put on the gun next week, since I broke my hand and it will be in a cast, so I'll be shooting left-handed (and one handed) this spring.

I'm going to try the new Federal Heavyweight 3 1/2" #6 FliteControl shells, if I can find any, and if they pattern decently. If not, I'll stick with my old Federal lead #6s, they're tried and true.

I shot a five-bearded turkey a couple of years ago, which was one of the higher scoring birds and helped win my team, at the time, first place in this annual event. I'll be returning to the same area this spring, so I hope multi-bearded turkeys are indigenous to the area!!!

How many turkeys you guys killed?? My memory puts me at 19 so far, probably more, plus I got my wife addicted a few years ago, as well, and she's shot a couple herself!!! I've been at it quite a few years, and have been beaten by a wise old gobbler or two a few times, as well!!!

Hope that we all have a safe and successful spring!! Good luck to all!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:10 PM

what yall huntin with? i saw 20 birds the other day 10 toms 4 jakes rest hens all in my area got 8yrds to the jakes to bad it wasnt season [:@]
Old 03-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

QS,
Why Rio's? Don't know. Our state pres. found records that sometime in the 60's a few Merriam's were also released by a private landnwner. In some pix, toms are whiter-lighter than others. A few yrs ago, some turkey biologists thought my friend got his pix mixed up..."Nice Merriam's. Uh...no it's a Rio Grande from Hawaii. What?! Are you sure? That really looks like a Merriam's"
Gould's would be cool, but given the problems of introduced-exotic species, I think we'll just have to work with what we've got.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:47 AM

any1 seen anything? i got close to some toms the other day 12yrds cant wait

Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 PM
car
Typical Buck

Wow just found my name on team 4. Season starts April 18 here in Oh. Not soon enough for me. I've got my eye on a nice double beard tom thats got a arrow with his name on it just waiting for season to open. car
Old 03-19-2005, 05:56 PM

hey double beard ask pat-ely if u add the beards if u get him ask him i want to know there is a double beard here i was wondering

Quick Reply: Team 4 Roll Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.