Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey loads kick!!!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM

Default RE: Turkey loads kick!!!

A buddy of mine picked up an 835 for our first turkey season a couple of years back, I decided to hold back and used my grandfathers model 12 because I wanted to make sure I liked this turkey hunting stuff. Our first patterning session I was shooting 2 3/4s he thought he'd be tuff and start off with the big 3.5s. First shot about took his nose off. He went into the woods with some 3 in shells and he hasn't been back since.

My second year I bought an MP153 semi auto and I regularly shoot 3.5's with a smile on my face. Love my MP153!. I haven't been able to talk my buddy into going turkey hunting again though.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I remember the first time I patterned my Remington Super Mag with 3.5" Winchester shells. 4 shots and that was all I wanted to do. Got home and had a purple mark on my cheek. Man, they rock ya...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

LOL. I remember having a scope on my turkey gun, oh, 3 years back and got a bit close with just a 3" shell... POW! I got the gobbler allright, but the scope got me, and good. 4 stitches on the inside and 8 more to close the gash above my eye. The ER doctor said it probably wouldn't have been as bad if I didn't wear glasses, which were in need of repair as well.

My buddy had a good time with that one... since he drove me to the ER after I took my bird home. We couldn't get the bleeding stopped which made it hard to drive. So, he has the ER nurse bandage over the stitches with a huge kids Crayola crayon bandage. I didn't know it was there until I got home. No wonder they were all laughing when we walked out of the hospital.

I no longer use a scope, which for me is a good thing. I've gone up to the 3 1/2" Browning BPS, and would not want to get hammered by it. Those 2 oz. loads in 3 1/2" shells are absolutley brutal. But heck, if it'll shoot 'em... just grin and shoot em.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM

I was 8 when I shot my first 3 1/2" magnum turkey load. I about dislocated my shoulder shooting it. Needless to say, I shot 2 3/4" shells for the next couple years!