Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Dust Baths?

Old 09-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Dust Baths?

So heres my question;I was selecting a site to put my tree stand at and I came across a turkey dust bath spot. The spot was in a small strip of woods ( only about 40 yards wide) that runs between a corn field and a river. I found a piece of old barb wire about a foot or so off the ground that had grown into to big old trees, and under the barb wire it is just dry lose dirt and dust mixed with turkey feathers and turkey tracks all over and there were a couple of other dust bathing spots just a few feet from it also. So do you know how often in the fall will turkeys dust bath, and do they usually use the same dust bathing spot all the time ? This is a excellent spot for deer hunting but what do you think the chances are for a fall tom at this location?
Old 09-09-2002, 06:18 AM

Default RE: Turkey Dust Baths?

I don't know if they come by EVERY day, but they should stop in often enough to make it worthwhile for you to be sitting there waiting. Were some of the feathers black-tipped body feathers, indicating the dust bowl is being used by a gobbler? Hen feathers will be tipped in brown, but several birds will usually use the same dust bowl. Any place you can find where toms are in the habit of hanging out, can be an excellant place to hunt in the fall...whether it's a dust bowl location, preferred food source, traditional roost, etc. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swingin; I know where the toms roost, I had a deer stand down there and I was on them last fall for a archery tom, But this year the hubby is gonna try for one there and I promised a good friend that I would take him once there this year also, so this year Im gonna try a new location. The feathers I found at the dust bathing spots were a mix I believe of male and females feathers. Ive seen the toms and hens both feed along the field.Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:36 AM

Here's a thought....... next time you go by there, pick up ALL the feathers you see, then the following time you go, you can tell if they have been back there at all