Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

the new federals....

Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default the new federals....

i shot the new federal loads yesterday.....i saw a post asking about them a little while ago.....and watched the video and was impressed.....750 a box of 10 i said what the heck why not?...i bought the 12 ga 3 inch mag 2oz copper plated #4s....im impressed....never shot all that many turkey loads....yesterday i shot 3 diffrent loads and it beat them all by far....25yds the wad went through my target paper.....30 yds it hit the wood the paper was stapled too and bounced off......and from 25-30yds the pattern was the same.....ill put them on a turkey target next time i pattern..maybe have a pic for you guys...they were shooting to the right....so im getting sights and moving it over.....ill post a pic of the wads after the next range session too....they are crazy looking.....and made of good plastic....i found them laying in the field and was like what in the world is this? then thought about it and was like oh ya...its them new wads.....dont know how they stay with the pattern that far....all my other ones were blowing off within 10yds....i guess the rear of them acts like a fin? kinda like fletchings on an arrow is the only thing i could think of..i thought theyd slow it down..but i watched them hit my target.....ill do some counting and such on a turkey target next time....and increase the range....after i get my sights....just thought id let you guys know.......i like em....and will be hunting with them this year long as i get them moved over...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 PM

Default RE: the new federals....

What kind of choke were you using?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh...forgot that.....i shot a remington 870 express mag turkey gun....21 inch barrel with an extended reminton extra full turkey choke...
Old 02-13-2005, 07:52 PM
BT
Typical Buck

I just bought a box of them yesterday. there the flite control wads. the box i bought was the 3in #4 2 oz load.

I havent tryed them yet but your results sounds prommising.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep....same ones i bought...i drew a wanna be head and neck where i want my pattern to be and got 65 pellets in my drawn head and neck at 30paces....im new to the pattern game and dont shoot a fancy choke or anything as of now.....i will get there eventually....but for right now im just doing a little testing.....kinda hard to spend money when its not needed when your graduating hs....have a car to pay off before college....saving for college so i dont have to work ect ect....and ive rolled 3 turkeys with my old methods...so why fix something that aint broke?...but i can make it better....these now loads are cheap n look alot better on paper....cant wait....i opted to get sights instead of a choke....and maybe a few more diffrent loads..but i dont think ill get much better then what i got with these new loads....be warned.....they thump you pretty good....least out of my gun....i fired 2 other "turkey loads" saturday too.....and i felt a diffrence from my old load of nitro mag 1 7/8oz loads.....i was surprised there was a noticiable diffrence....my buddy thought i was shooting a cannon....he lets me shoot in his field behind his house....normally he dont mind...be he said the shotgun kinda got on their nerves....pretty bad when i can shoot a 3006 out there all day.....
Old 02-14-2005, 07:26 PM

I tested Sunday the Federal Flitewads in 6's 2oz 3" shell through an 870 28" barrel against Winchester Supremes. Here is the results of the Federal. I counted the vital hits in the neck and head only. The Full choke patterend better than the Super Full I shoot again in 5's when the store restocks.

Full Choke

Straight Rifled Extra Full Turkey Choke

I dunno where the damn red x's came from. Too lazy to put em in another host tonight.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

that would be a dead bird.....but the pattern from my #4s look alot more holy.....ill do a count next time i pattern....but i drew a wanna be neck and head and got something like 65 hits where i want my pattern to be centerd......i got some tinkering to do.....but the pattern you got was my old pattern with most loads....the federals did well in my gun i think....ill let you guys know upon more shooting.....
Old 02-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the point of these new wads was to separate the wad from the shot and drop away quicker so as not interfere with the shot. Wouldn't the wad traveling all the way down range be counter productive?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget my last post... from fedral's website:

FLITECONTROL Wad
For turkey hunters there are new Mag•Shok™ loads featuring the revolutionary FLITECONTROL wad. This unique wad employs a rear-braking system that helps it stay with shot longer (up to 19-feet out of the muzzle in test barrels), choking the pellets into a lethally tight pattern. Plus, Mag•Shok’s copper-plated, buffered lead shot produces dense, tight and uniform patterns. FLITECONTROL will be offered in two shot types, Mag-Shok lead and new Mag-Shok HEAVYWEIGHT—both in 3 and 3-1/2-inch shell lengths and number 4, 5 and 6 shot sizes.

I hope this post doesn't violate forum rules, I'm not pushing a product just correcting my previous post...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was hitting my target at 30yards with my wad....25yds i put a hole in my target with my wad......as you said it is designed to stay with the pattern longer...and fall at the right time....according to federal.....with the things on the back id like to know how it flew like a bullet that far....im video taping next time i shoot....but they were hitting the target and flying straight.....only thing i can think of is the things on the back of the wad act like a fin and help it fly?? for being so sturdy and heavy plastic it shocked me to see the one bounce off my target....

Quick Reply: the new federals....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.