Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterning Question

Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Patterning Question

Yesterday I went to the range with my new PRIMOS Jellyhead and two different boxes of ammo. After about the sixth shot I noticed that I was starting to feel the recoil in my right cheek. Being new to turkey hunting I don't know if this is normal or not? I'm not used to sitting on the ground and shooting.

I mainly hunt pheasants, ducks and geese. I didn't feel the recoil in my shoulder like after a good day of trap shooting, but I did have a bruise on my right shoulder this morning.

Is there someting that I am doing wrong? Or is there a pad or something that I could put on my gun when patterning to solve the issue that I encountered yesterday with my cheek?

I feel like I've been in a boxing match.

The reason I ask is because I am not happy with the results of this choke/ammo combo and I will be going back to the range and trying different ammo.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Patterning Question

i did some patterning yesterday.....i know the feeling your feeling.....my cheek and shoulder hurt......getting hit by that much recoil is going to hurt you.....hang on tight and put the stock in your shoulder and cheek down on the stock.....turkey loads pound out alot of recoil.....i forget the numbers.....but its alot more then the normal deer rifle......its natural......maybe porting or something could help control the muzzle jump thats hitting our faces.....but ill live with mine......i plan to shoot atleast another box through my gun before the season....but after that ill fire one round if im lucky before next season......so its not that bad....if i was shooting them alot id think about it...but i dont think its necisary...in my case...now when your getting broken noses...dislocated shoulders..black eyes..falling on your butt....broken jaw....then id say something needs to be done
Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 PM

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...AV=&hasJS=true

I found this at cabelas. I think this may help me out. Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah a sore cheek bone is pretty well normal when patterning your turkey loads, you may even notice a good sized knot on your jaw bone also, one thing I found that really helps when you are bench shooting those heavy loads is a sand bag between your stock and shoulder, that takes away alot of the kick.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh man....a bench.....im dreading the bench.....ill be there next time though.....well.....shooting sticks and a hay bail behind me atleast.....or shooting off a hay bail.....never fired a turkey load like that...usually when patterning i just stand and point....im rather consistant that way....not tooting my own horn but ive always been a pretty steady free hand shooter...and recoil isnt so bad because it pushes your whole body...but next time im actually going to have to sight in my gun.....and move the pattern.....should be interesting.....i never say a WHOLE pattern on paper....cant wait....im just getting into this serious patterning stuff......
Old 02-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, I grabbed a life vest from my boat and wore it while patterning. It did the trick, but I probably looked a little strange at the range. This year, I replaced my 870s wooden stock with a synthetic one, and put a Remington R3 recoil pad on (made by Simms Vibration Labs). I haven't had the opportunity to hit the range yet, but hopefully the new recoil pad will help, I've been hearing good things about it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Popere, How big of a 3" shell are you shooting? 1 5/8, 1 7/8, 2oz? I gave the big shells up years ago. I shoot a 1 1/4oz of copper 4's for turkey. Basic pheasant shell and it does the trick just fine. Best part, no pain.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 AM

The Remington's are 1 1/2, and the Winchesters are 1 3/4. I have a bunch of 2 3/4 pheasant rounds and I wanted to try them last Saturday but I forgot to bring them. I'll give them a try this coming weekend. Thanks.