Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterning Question

Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

Default Patterning Question

How many hits at a turkey head/neck/vitals is considered adequate? I shot at 50 yards this weekend at turkey targets, and only had 8 shot in neck/head. Also, does the shot have much power at 50 yards to take down a turkey?

I shoot #6 3" high velocity remington turkey loads. 1 3/4 oz loads at 1300fps.

For long shooting I was thinking changing to duplex 4X6 loads but loose velocity due to 1 7/8 oz loads.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Patterning Question

How much power your shot has at 50 yards has alot to do with what size shell you are shooting, what size shot, ect. ect.

Could 8 shots in the head/neck work to kill a bird? Sure, it only takes 1 well placed BB to get the job done. Would I take a 50 yard shot on a bird knowing my gun puts 8 shots in the head at that distance? No, I would not.

Slice
Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

I probably agree with you there. I didn't like the looks of it either.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is more energy in a 4-5 load then 6, the only difference is that 6 has far more% of shot in one shell. I would try to keep the shot range in the 40 yards and call the bird closer...BT
Old 05-06-2004, 07:42 AM
bigcountry

I have let birds walk at 40 yards and don't regret it. I need to work on patterning more at those ranges if I want to take the shots. Do you think a scope is needed for those long shots?

5 shots in the brain/spine seems a little low. I figured you guys would say 20 shots or something like that.

What about duplex, does anyone like this, or waste of time trying?

Old 05-06-2004, 12:58 PM

I used Nitro HeviShot 4x5x7 on one bird this spring, at 25 yards, and he fell instantly, "no flop."

I used straight #5 Remington HeviShot on two others, with less instant killing effect, but they both succumbed and are in my bag. Nitro is WAY too expensive, IMHO, (on a scale that factors in price, pattern and results) though, so I think I'm going back to my old reliable, #5 Federal lead, until something better comes along.

I haven't seen a commercially made 4x5x7 or comparable, in lead, but would probably use it if I did find some. I think a blended shell puts more killing pellets in the vitals area, even though some of the pellets have less energy when they reach the target.

I do not like Remington's HeviShot, because the crimps are crappy (IMHO) and the buffer leaks.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a bird at 55 yards before. I get about 6-7 pelets in the head at 50 yards and I've always been told that you should get 5 every time. Well I do so i figure 50 is about my max range. I'll only shoot out that far if they're not coming in.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

How many hits at a turkey head/neck/vitals is considered adequate? I shot at 50 yards this weekend at turkey targets, and only had 8 shot in neck/head. Also, does the shot have much power at 50 yards to take down a turkey?

I shoot #6 3" high velocity remington turkey loads. 1 3/4 oz loads at 1300fps.

For long shooting I was thinking changing to duplex 4X6 loads but loose velocity due to 1 7/8 oz loads.
You can spend a lot of time & money searching for; and experimenting with, the ultimate Turkey Load. What works for one can be an anethma to another. For example my son & I both use 20GAs; his a Winchester® & mine a Mossberg®. We use the same EXACT CHOKES. Mine patterns #6 great, & #5's fairly well. In turn his gun will pattern #5's the best & #6 only so-so. Go Figure.

It's all about finding WHAT WORKS BEST IN YOUR GUN.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Snowdog2, My wife and use the Nitro shells too and i agree they are expensive for shells, but we've taken 4 birds this spring at a shell cost of about $15. That may be the cheapest part of our season with some of the license cost and trips and such. Just a thought.