Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 whats your memorible hunt >

whats your memorible hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

whats your memorible hunt

Old 02-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Default RE: whats your memorible hunt

Mine would without dout was the day I called in the first bird for my wife. we worked a bunch for about three hrs. and over a mile.a mature bird;(not the big boss) but a good bird came and circled us and was standing about 15' from me for 5 min. me saying as low as I could."shoot him baby ; shoot him" after what seemed an hr. she finally shot him.

she though I was gonna shoot him,and I was waiting on her.it was her hunt but him being that close to me she though I should shoot him.I was off to the side and not in anyway in danger.just closer then she was.

I was truly proud of that hunt and of her.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

miine would be my first bird......it was my 4th year of trying......i hadnt even heard a gobble up close......i'm sitting there with Fl. and she called, then i hear balalalalalla right behind me , i started shaking, she said it was coming in from my right, for me to get ready, i knew it was coming in from my left but i did what she told me and i was ready to shoot the bird coming in on my so called right......then he appeared, to mu left, right next to me ....he gobbled, spit, drummed, everything, i could see he saw me, but we didnt even as much as blinked, i had to let him get away from the blind so i could switch the gun around, he kept going.......he got about 60 yds. away and she called him back to me, i couldnt see him, she told me to take him, it was nerve racking, then he appeared and i dropped him, ran up to him, got spurred because i grabbed his legs forgetting about the spurs, lol.....he was my longest bearded bird to date, longest spurs too....he weighed 17 lbs......got me running up to him on video, the whole hunt was suppose to be on video, but the camera didnt want to work...dew alert.....but it was great....i shook so bad, fell backwards with the bird on my back, she got pics of me going down, lol......it was a classic hunt.....
Old 02-12-2005, 01:48 PM

I have been fortunate enough to kill several gobblers in my day, my first when I was 12 years old. I would have to say tho, that my most memorable was last season. I set up along a field where they commonly fly down in the morning. I set a decoy at 20 yards, and waited. When I knew the birds were on the ground, I gave one loud excited yelp. Immediately the bird answered, and within 5 minutes I had 2 mature toms strutting at 5 yards. Keep in mind now, I am bowhunting, and not in a blind. I am just keeling next to a tree in some tall grass. You talk about exciting...Let me tell you that Pat is right...the warm fuzzy feeling is caused by a close up gobble. Anyway, I finally got the shot at 20 yards, with both birds strutting and looking away, I came to full draw and let fly. WHACK! The 23 pounder walked about 30 feet into the field, and fell over. Wow, now THAT was exciting. My first turkey with a bow and arrow.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was my first bird of two that I took last season. He went 18 lbs at the end of the second week in season, had a 10 1/2" beard and 1" spurs. He was the smallest of two that came in at the same time. I had the 2 of them gobble probably well over 100 times in about an hour. The one that I shot I knew was the smallest, and I let him come into 25 yards where he tried to mount my decoy several times. I was waiting hoping for the bigger one to give me a clear shot and after about 15 minutes of waiting for the big one, the one closest to me started putting.........needless to say he got a load of Winchester Supreme #4's headed his way real quick. He did put on an excellent show though, and even though he isn't the biggest, he was the most rewarding.