Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Federal's new MAG*SHOK -heavyweight Turkey Loads >

Federal's new MAG*SHOK -heavyweight Turkey Loads

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Federal's new MAG*SHOK -heavyweight Turkey Loads

Old 02-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Federal's new MAG*SHOK -heavyweight Turkey Loads

http://www.federalcartridge.com/

The new cartridge from federal looks really interesting. The shot is a hevi shot (seems like all major players have their own version). What interests mee is the flightcontrol wad. The link above will take you to a video link so you can see it in action. The basis is that the wad doesn't open from the front like traditional wads. Instead there are air brakes in the wad so that it slows in the air and the shot flies ahead of it. According to federal this results in 30% tighter patterns. It makes sense to me but I am no expert.

I'm gonna have to try these out. I wonder what the choke factor will do to the pattern on a shell like this?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Federal's new MAG*SHOK -heavyweight Turkey Loads

Pretty impressive if it works as advertised. I too wonder about chokes. I would think that a more open choke would work better on that shell. I would think that stripping that wad too soon would ruin the pattern. But what do I know?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting video for sure. I hope that some people try that new load and see how it does at the pattern board. Look's like many more companies are jumping on the bandwagon with that "Heavier than lead" slogun.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM
VP

Looks like Fed is saying " Oh Sh*# we better catch up"

Interested to see how they shoot !
Old 02-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a nice one, 'cept I still got a box of Rem. heavy shot I'd like to try. Each time I've brought them turkey hunting, I haven't seen a turkey I could harvest (too young, wrong sex or just plain 'ol not there). I might should see how they do next Sept on geese & ducks.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:53 AM

Default I thought all of ya would be interested in Federal's reply

<<Question to federal >>

I am really impressed with your promo for the new MAG SHOK heavy turkey loads with the flitecontrol wad. I do have a question though. What affect does a choke have on this type of cartridge? It seems to me that it may effect the performance more than a traditional wad. So I guess my question is, what size(constriction)/type of choke is recommended for this cartridge? When I test the patterns on this load before spring turkey I would like to make sure that I have the optimum setup for the load.

Thanks for any help, and great job for thinking out of the box with these new turkey loads.

Jim Williams

<<REPLY: >>

You are correct the choke has an effect.Try a more open choke than normal such as a .770 or full rather than tighter.

Our tests have shown slightly more open chokes work better.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:40 PM

I tried a box of the #5s mag shock 2 ounces lead with that special shotcup. Best pattern was with an undertaker .665 put 106 pellets in a 12 inch circle at 40 yrds.