Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Gobble Call?

Old 01-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Best Gobble Call?

What gobble call is the best to you guys? I am going to buy one this season and I dont know what to get, I have never used one. The only ones i have actually looked at are the Primos and Quaker Boy. I am guessing the shaker type calls are best?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Gobble Call?

I've got the Primos and it works good. Only use it when you know where you are and who's around you though. I had a HS Strut gobble call and couldn't get that thing to work for nothing. I think they have since changed the design to be more like the Primos and Quaker Boy calls though. Can't stress enough on knowing who's around you when you use one though. I am the hunter and don't want to be the hunted.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 12 pointer

What gobble call is the best to you guys? I am going to buy one this season and I dont know what to get, I have never used one. The only ones i have actually looked at are the Primos and Quaker Boy. I am guessing the shaker type calls are best?
I have found this to be THE BEST!!!!!

http://www.casscreek.com/prod_gobbler.html
Old 01-24-2005, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I will say this , In the NWTF Teams Comp's at the Nationals ,, everyone even other call companies , use the Quakerboy Jake Challenger for Competing with...BT
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I use a mouth call.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian, I'm not doubting you here at all bud. BUT!! You have to remember, those are judges that they are making those sounds to, not real turkeys. The best judge in my book is a dead gobbler, not some guy sitting behind a curtain. And as you know, some of those judges are very biased in their scoring anyway.[:-]
Old 01-24-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm not sure about that cass creek call, I dont know if i can use electronic calls here to hunt with. I prefer calls that i have to do something instead of just electronic, just my opinion. I think I will get one of those Primos shaker calls at wally world...that way if i sont like it i just return it (gotta love walmart). Has anyone had any problems or anything with these? How do they work in southern indiana? Where i hunt there is about no hunting pressure except me...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL . I know what your saying Maytom , but I've proved it time and time again in the woods as well . I carry the Boss Gobbler tube (Shaker) all the time and have great success with it. Works for Locating and aswell on hungup birds. So over all it gets field tested a lot ...BT
Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a really raspy mouthcall - I've been practicing at it for about 3 years, and I've got it pretty close. I fool more hunters than I fool turkeys. I sound a lot more like a sick jake than a boss gobbler.

I had a primos that I didn't have much luck with. I lost it in my travels at some point.