Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Ineed some expert  advice on calling wild turkeys with a diaphram >

Ineed some expert advice on calling wild turkeys with a diaphram

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ineed some expert advice on calling wild turkeys with a diaphram

Old 01-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Ineed some expert advice on calling wild turkeys with a diaphram

to make the yelp what do i need to try to say,what about the cluck,cackle,purr and so on.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Ineed some expert advice on calling wild turkeys with a diaphram

The first mouth call that I bought had instructions on how to yelp, and it said to say the word "Chirp" . It did work as far as learning to make a sound with the caller. After I mastered being able to make sound come from the caller, I dont think there is a "word" that I try to say, I just can make the call make the sounds I want them to. I probably didnt help you out much, but if your not able to make sounds with the call yet, you might start out with the chirp??
Old 01-21-2005, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Angus stated it correctly, It says in the book to start with a "chirp" but once you understand how the call/noise is produced you will venture into all your little favorite clucks and purrs.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:07 AM
JW
Super Moderator

As they said - get a calling tape. Lovett Williams has tape/Cd of Real Turkey talk. almost flat wore mine out!

Then try to mimic what you hear! And when out there hunting that ole elusive Tom - if a hen squalks at ya - tease her and mimic what you hear!

JW
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
VP

Give this link a try ncboy, it's got all vocalizations you need. As the other said , try and mimic each one.

Good luck to ya

[link]http://www.nwtf.org/special_events/calling_contest_turkey_calls.html[/link]
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with the mouth diaphram call. I always buy a couple of new ones every year and some work better than others. It is important that it fits the roof of your mouth properly and they are all different. When a hot gobbler comes in I get excited and my mouth gets dry and it doesn't work too well. Makes a sound like a chicken which isn't what the boss wants. I use a box and slate call to get it going and rely on the mouth call to get them in the final few steps if needed because you don't have to move to use it.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mouth Call Placement
The key to mouth calls is Mouth call placement. Having the call placed in the right area in the palette. Another good start is a clear call with two reeds, thats a call with no cuts in the top reed ,(Twin Two)or (Beginner's double). I have found that alot of first timers are getting on the Scream'in Green Pro Triple aswell. Do not start out with a single reed or Raspy calls.

A new call taken from the package ,should be creased down around the frame of the call so that you can see the top and bottom(Tab) of the call. If wanted you can cut down the tape, but I suggest only taking off about 1/16th at a time untill comford is found. Do not bend the frame if at all possible, this will loosen the laytex reeds and sound will drop off.

When placement is found, If you don't have the placement right then all the words that you mimic will not help you. The mouth call should be placed in with the Tab of the call down, and the Longest reed up. A beginner should have the gagging refex as the tape from the call is at the back of the throat. Just slightly off the back part of the palette on the fleashy tissue. This is normal and will go away with practice.

By placing your middle front of your tongue up on the call , you will hold more presure on the sides of your tongue up against your mollers to stop airflow from exscaping. The main flow of air is going to travel down the center crease of your tongue and out your mouth. You want to try to keep your lips only open a little and allow the air to come out under your front teeth.

By using your jaw, and your Lungs/Diaphram/Tummy, your going to huff air and use your jaw to regulate the airflow that is exiting your mouth. On every note the caller needs to huff some air out to produce the sound. With the volume of air and the jaw action working togeather, will allow one too take off and apply presure with your tongue too the reed of the call to make the sound needed. By keeping the presure on the reed and huffing air from your chest (Diaphram) and mimicing the words (That have been sudjusted) you should get some sounds that are close to the calls you want. Practice is the next step.

First - Place the call into the proper spot on your tongue and place the Mouth Call up into the Palette, Through your nose you are going to take a deep breath of air and hold it in your chest, slightly open your mouth and softly say the word HECK and stop the air flow on the K of the word heck. At this point your Call, Air presure and Jaw should be in right spot to try the word Kee - Yuk for the yelp.

Yelp - 2 note call High and Low - Kee - Yuk or Che-Yuk speed the two togeather,
Kee or Che being the high note, and Yuk being the Low note

Tree yelp- very soft quiet yelps and limited to 4-5 in a slower rythem,a odd soft cluck can be added aswell to the yelping.

Cluck - One note, fast and cut off quick - Buck, it should sound more like Buk.

Cut - its a Cluck only faster and broken up in beat- with high and low notes mixed -Buk,Pic,Buk,Buk,Cuk Pik Pik,Buk,Pik Cuk Buk,Pik Buk - kind of beat.

Cackle - Is a cluck also , only start off with quiet slow Cluck then into a fast series of clucks then tapered to slow low notes. Buk,Buk, Cuk Cuk Cuk Cuk Cuk,Cuk,Buk,Buk,Buk.
The Cluck,Cackle,and Cut are all Clucks only done with different Beat and Pitch.

Purr, can be done a couple of different ways , by a flapping of the front part of your lips , as kids would do a moterboat in water , or like gargling with mouth wash in the back of the throat allowing the viberations to travel on the front part to the reeds.

After learning the calls another calling success to practice is the Cadence and form of each call , Rythem,Pitch and Tone. This is another important part of a hunters success rate.

Learning to control the call the proper way on every call is a knack that not all can do. I believe Good Calling Comp's with Top knotch callers can help one be a better hunter when it comes to the calling aspect. Not every bird can be fooled,but it sure gives one a lead on presured birds. I believe woodsmanship also plays a roll in the hunt but put the two hand in hand togeather and you can have a deadly hand of success.

Tip:
Mouth Calls , tend to break down over a hunting season. As moisture exsorbs in the laytex and more volume and presure is added to the call to make it work, latex tends to stretch or slip from the frame and the life/sound of the call starts to slip. Buying new calls before the start of the season is a good idea.

Hope that helps out and gets you started on the mouth call.

Adrian J Hare, QuakerBoy Game Calls
Old 01-23-2005, 08:19 AM

Well, i think he covered everything...Also, when i first started it helped to do the calls extremely slow to get a feel for each pitch of a call...ex. when doing a yelp, do the high part first, and get it sounding right, then add it to the low note. good luck
Old 01-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks 12 pointer , your comment just remined me , that I thought of the same line while out driving yesterday and I should have added that aswell...BT
Old 01-23-2005, 09:59 AM

Adrian's got some of the best people to Turkey translation I've ever seen given, I'll add this, it may help.

The first step is to understand the consept of the tape blocking the airway. Now apply tongue pressure and just get it to squeek at a high pitch, (''EEEEE") then by either lowering the jaw or just the tongue, lower the pitch (OOOOP)

This may sound strange, but I first associated a Yelp with a donkey type sound (EEEOOORR) as far as how to shape or vocalize your mouth.
Take Adrians vocalization and think of "POPEYE'S (yes the cartoon sailorman) laugh, YUK,KUK KUK KUK KUK

I wont say they're the best, but MAD seam the easiest. After you get it down they seam to squeek to easy, and stay away from cutters to start. I don't care for plastic framed calls either. A simple 2 reed no cut or inverted V

Hope this is helpful, Good Luck