Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Want to Camo my shotgun for spring... any suggestions???? >

Want to Camo my shotgun for spring... any suggestions????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Want to Camo my shotgun for spring... any suggestions????

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Want to Camo my shotgun for spring... any suggestions????

Am looking at a few different products.

Camoclad kits.... many different patterns,,,but worried it is a vinyl type tape.

SnakeSkin... shrinks with heat... comes in hardwoodsHD... not sure it will work, but the idea of no stickum left on the gun is appealing

In the past I have used cloth tape type of camo and really like the texture (doesn't reflect light,,, dull appearance ) and the grip is good. I was wondering if there is anything better out there?

-------I have thought about painting my new gun. But I am nervous about it. I may try this summer though,,, and try it out on something before I spray towards my firearm.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Want to Camo my shotgun for spring... any suggestions????

Williams there are several options for you. First is the camoclad kit that you mentioned. I have used these on guns and even have done several of my own trucks as well as for a couple of buddies trucks. For a gun its simply cut to fit and put it on (properly clean the gun first, no fingerprints or solvent). The stuff comes off if you just pull it by hand but I recommend heating it with a hair dryer as you go. That makes it softer and loosens the adhesive. Be sure to pull the tape back against itself instead of just yanking it off at a 90degree angle or you could pull any finish off your your gun that is already loose or chipped. THE greatest part of the CamoClad is that you have 0 residue to clean off and its cheap enough that you could put it on and remove it with each season! The vinyl also holds no moisture so you dont have to worry about it holding moisture against the gun like you do with socks and cloth tape.

The cloth tape is TERRIBLE because of the awful mess that the glue leaves. I wouldnt do ANYTHING with that tape anymore after using the camoclad setups. IMHO clot tape is antiquated with the various vinyl coverups of today. The tape besides holding moisture also holds LOTS of scent for the deer hunter!

As for painting, properly clean the gun and prime it real well first. Two coats of primer (I recommend gray primer to contrast over the dark metal and wood of a gun) and two coats of paint with one coat of a flat finish clearcoat will have the finish ready to last for years. You can simply use the clearcoat for touchups as it becomes scratched with use. But this is a PERMANENT solution. Make ABSOLUTELY sure it is a gun you dont care to return to original finish and obviously dont do this too heirloom or sentimental firearms. I have so much confidence in the CamoClad that I have put some on various hand me downs that I have recieved from family members. The tough CamoClad also protects the gun and finishes underneath it!

Another solution that I stumbled upon by accident is spraying the matte finish clearcoat over the bare gun itself. It works great for hunting and can be removed after season. I sprayed an entire 1300 Featherweight I had and turkey hunted with it with only the dullcoat over it (IMHO a shiny finish is what spooks animals, not the lack of camo itself). After season I used a lil elbow grease and some mineral spirits to remove the finish. You can actually scratch it off with your fingernail. But this was a highly blued Winchester with thick polyurathaned stocks, the finish prevented the dullcoat from getting a good grip. If you had an older firearm with thinner bluing and non-coated wood, you probably wouldnt want to do this trick as the dullcoat would stick pretty good too it.

Good luck and let us know what happens,
RA
Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Bell and Carlson has what they call the "Creative Effects System". You send your whole gun or just the stock to them and they put the camo finish on it like comes from the factory. Might be an option you would want to look into! Good luck!

Bell and Carlson
Old 01-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Thanks for your comments, and the camo clad is looking like a good option.....

Has anyone out there used the SnakeSkins tape, that shrink wraps with heat?

Here is cabelas link.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...hdx&hasJS=true

I can't find a manufacturers web site for the product and would like to have some more info.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 PM

I had a gun with that shrink stuff it sucks. After a while it got loose and saggy..
camo clad tape kits I liked but if they get a scratch or if rubed alot they turn white.
Dipping Your Gun..Expensive
I Just Keep Gun As Is (flat black)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM

I second TH15's opinion on the snakeskin junk. Very hard to work with, peels, cracks etc. in a word Junk. I have an MP153 black synthetic that I am going to have dipped when I can save up the $180.00 to do it. This year I am using realtree pattern duct tape.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:52 PM

My barrel and reciever are flat finished....and I took the forearm and stock and spray painted it OD Green with some black tiger stripes......I haven't used any of the other products, but I'd paint another one in a heartbeat.