Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions. >

I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Hey everyone! My name is Spencer and I usually hunt deer and hogs. But this year I'm going to get into hunting turkey. I've already got a lot of quality gear that I can use. I.E. camo, ground blind, shotgun with proper choke, etc... My primary questions are which call do you guys prefer and also which decoy? I'll more than likely be getting either a box call or a friction call, but I'm not sure which type and brand to get. Same goes for the decoy. What kind and should I get more than one? I know better than to ask the loaded question "Which one is best?", so basically what I'm looking for is what you guys prefer to use. Also, is there anything else I should consider purchasing while I'm getting ready?

Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here and bagging that first bird!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Welcome to the addictive sport of turkey hunting as for box calls, I use a lynch world champion. lynch is an old company that has stood the test of time, and they make some of the sweetest sounding, highest quality box calls you can find. one side makes gobbler yelps and clucks, and the other side makes hen yelps, clucks, purrs, and cuts. probably more gobblers have lost their life coming to a lynch call than any other. I'm sure you'll find a lot of people here are lynch fans, or at least i am the lych foolproof is another good one. as for decoys i don't use them much, so someone else will have to help you there
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for decoys i have had good luck with the b mobile. I set it up with a single hen and it usually works out pretty good. Before i got the b mobile is use a feather flex jake and hen and i had decent success with those as well. It's all in how much money you want to spend

Wayne
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting. Get ready to have an experience of a life time. Get ready cause its such a rush. Push button calls work good for a beginner. But you have plenty of time to practice calls. But make sure whatever calls you get you practice, practice, practice. Now for your gun. make sure you have a turkey choke, and pattern it with turkey loads.For decoys I use featherflex hens. I dont have much luck with the jake decoys, but thats not to say they wont work for you. Feel free to ask any question. There are a great group of gals and guys on this forum who can answer your questions.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey welcome - this hunting is a dang disease!

and go back and read as there are really some very good turkey hunters here who do share wha they have learned.

Make sure you look for the window to allow posts beyond 30 days - and read -

JW
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only thing to remember is the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info fellas! That helps a bunch!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a pot and peg call and I like a good Mouth call

As for decoys... Don't use them much
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look in to the mad calls they are real good. i would also start practicing as soon as you get a call you can never be to good at calling. as for decoys i have an old and i mean old flambeau hen it is not even collapsable i never really use it either. For ammunition i like the federal flightcontrol shells the ones with the weird wads, i can really drop the hammer on toms with them. other than that it sounds like you are set.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to check out a friction call thats easy for a beginner without breaking the bank, go for a Knight and Hale Ol' Yeller. It fires up the turkeys and its easy to use. Another great call on the inexpensive side is the Primos Power Crystal. That has been my go to call for the last few seasons and works pretty well. Its easy to use and you can get everything from quiet clucks and purrs to LOUD YELPS and CUTTING. I use delta decoys, usually one hen and one jake. Sometimes the decoys work, sometimes they dont, and sometimes depending on your set-up you might choose not to use them (i.e. when you expect that as soon as you see the bird he will be within range). The more you hunt, the moreyou'll learn. You will get a lot of good advice on this forum, but no amount of reading will be worth the experience you gain out in the field! Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Quick Reply: I'm a newbie gearing up for spring. Need suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.