Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

835 mossburg

Old 01-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Default 835 mossburg

What do you all think of this gun? I figured that if I were going to get into this Turkey contest that would give me an excuse to get a new Turkey gun. I have hunted with a 20 ga for years and have done well with them,but I limit my shot to 35 or less. I have had a 12ga or 2 for Turkeys and they did great also,I killed birds at 40-50 yds with them but the recoil was terrible with 3 1/2 mags so they are out of the question. I am thinking 3 in mags will do nicely. What do you all recomend. I do pattern all my shot guns with different loads and use a red dot scope.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 835 mossburg

I've got 2 835's. My wife uses one of them with Remington hevi shot and the recoil isn't too bad with the lighter shot charge of the hevi shot.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:12 PM

Ive Shot 835's..There Nice..Remington 870 Express In My Opinion Is Better.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:36 PM

lol, I cuss'em for their "so so" quality and if you are asking about buying a 835 for an all purpose shotgun I will STRONGLY steer you toward a 870 or even a Benelli Nova over the Mossberg. BUT if you are asking about the 835 strictly for turkeys then yeah go ahead and get one. I was talking the other day with our buyer (he was the one that got us all turned on too Hevi-Shot several years ago and then the Nitro's lastyear) he has done more testing with more guns and Hevi-Shot/Nitro loads than anyone else I know. He said that because of the 10ga back boring that the 835 uses that it is DEVASTATING on turkeys with Nitro loads (one of which is especially built for the 835!) and a .660 Rhino tube.

I have had a 835 quietly rusting in my gun room for years now (was dunked a couple of times during duck seasons past and never torn down and cleaned) I replaced it with a 870 SuperMag when they came out so the gun has been sitting for several years. Well lastnight I stayed up until almost 2am pulling EVER single piece down, cleaning the rust off and re-assembling the whole thing. LOL the hardest thing to get out was the barrel, luckily the choke tube wasnt stuck. Thank God they have an alloy reciever or it probably wouldve been trashcan city for this one. Anyway it is as clean and ready as it is going to be. The typically weak camo finish like all Mossbergs, is rusting and I will have to keep an eye on it. Under the rib especially, but being a turkey gun I dont care about looks so its probably gonna get primer and paint over the cleaned up rust spots!

It'll get a 45mm TruGlo on top, a Rhino tube in her big mouth, some 2 1/4oz triplex Nitros and its gonna be LIGHTS OUT city once again for this old rattle trap.
RA

ps
Oh yeah and she'll geta Sims recoil pad first thing this week. The 835 is absolutely MURDEROUS with turkey loads. I mean it kicks harder than my Warbird with the brake taken off!!! [:@]
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 AM

I have one and love it. The recoil on the 3.5s isn't much worse than the threes and when you shoot a turkey you don't feel a thing anyway. Imo, it is a large and bulky gun which isn't much of a hassel turkey hunting. The barrel is ported so it's also loud, on top of which my choke tub is ported. It patterns well to about 50 yards but my shots are usually 30 or so in the timber. Cleans and dries easily if you've been out in the rain. Haven't had any problems with the camo. I like the safety, clicks off quietly and without much movement. Mine patterns best with 3.5's #6, haven't tried the heavy loads. Take a towel for your shoulder out to range for patterning. Fold it over several times...I think you'll like it, great dedicated turkey gun and the price is right.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put one on layaway for my fiancee's birthday and should have it by Febuary. It is in Mossy Oak Break Up and comes with turkey sights and a choke. I think they a very nice guns especially for the money.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:34 PM

I think they are great turkey guns. They are IMO the best for the money